Advocacy, Outreach and Resource Mobilization Intern
UN Women Background: UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Unit/ Project Background: UN Women Japan Liaison Office (JLO) has been established in Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan since April 2015. The Office works on extending policy dialogue, holding lectures and public events, and also building a partnership. In particular, it is expected to outreach to various actors, including the government, parliaments, private enterprises, academics, NGOs, media and other and to keep them informed about UN Women’s work and role with regards to gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director of the UN Women Japan Liaison Office, the main responsibilities of the Intern will be to assist work of the UN Women Japan Liaison Office including the following;
- Assist Japan Liaison Office to research, analyse, plan, develop and manage public and private sector partnership building for mobilizing resources for UN Women;
- Monitor trends and issues which impact gender equality and women’s empowerment and identifying opportunities for UN Women;
- Conduct outreach activities including formulation of information and tools through SNS, UN Women JLO website and other information platforms;
- Prepare and coordinate various events of the UN Women Japan Liaison Office;
- Produce communication materials such as fliers, posters, videos and presentations;
- Handle inquiries from students, companies and general public;
- Assist with preparing electronic documentation for placement on the UN Women intranet (SharePoint), the division’s shared drive and Donor Agreements Management system;
- Assist coordinating with private, public, and academic entities in performing JLO’s advocacy activities;
- Assist in logistical and operational support and provide other assistance as identified during the internship period.
Learning Objectives: The internship offers students the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to UN Women’s work. It is designed to complement women’s development-oriented studies with practical experience in various aspects of multilateral technical cooperation, but also complements other international studies, including law.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to translate both ways between English and Japanese;
- Excellent research and analytical skills (including the ability to succinctly summarize research findings in written briefs, reports, etc.);
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (i.e. MS Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Social media and web design experiences, including tools and programs, are desirable;
- Proficiency in design software such as Adobe Illustrator is desirable;
- Attention to detail, sound judgement and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must have studies in gender, human rights, development or another similar subject at the university level.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required; Working knowledge of another UN language a distinct advantage.
Interns are not financially remunerated by UN Women.
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
- Selected applicants must provide the following document by email: 1) the internship application; 2) two letters of recommendation; 3) proof of health insurance; 4) school enrollment; 5) passport; and 6) visa (if applicable).
Application closing date: 30th September 2019 (Midnight New York, USA)