|Location :||Chisinau, MOLDOVA|
|Application Deadline :||31-May-19 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||21d 19h 9m|
|Type of Contract :||FTA International|
|Post Level :||P-5|
|Languages Required :||English|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||1 year|
Country Representative, Republic of Moldova
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. The above is fulfilled through the triple mandate of the organization.
Through the normative mandate we support the strengthening of global norms and standards. We also promote more effective coordination, coherence and gender mainstreaming across the UN system in support of commitments for gender equality and women’s empowerment; and as part of our operational mandate we support Member States to translate global norms and standards into legislation, policies and development plans at the regional, national and local levels.
UN Women’s presence in the Republic of Moldova has evolved from being a project-based office in 2007 (as UNIFEM) to a Country Office with full delegated authority as of 2015. Currently, UN Women Moldova Country Office is implementing its Strategic Note (SN) for 2018-2022. The SN 2018-2022 aims at advancing progress under the following three Impact Areas: 1. Women lead, participate in and benefit equally from governance systems, including in the security sector, 2. Women have income security, decent work and economic autonomy, 3. All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence.
UN Women’s Strategic Note is fully aligned with the Republic of Moldova-United Nations Partnership Framework for Sustainable Development 2018-2022 (PFSD, further as UNDAF) and the Global Strategic Plan of UN Women.
The PFSD/UNDAF is a medium-term strategic planning document that articulates the collective vision and response of the United Nations system to national development priorities and activities to be implemented in partnership with the Government of the Republic of Moldova and in close cooperation with international and national partners and civil society throughout the time period indicated. The strategic direction and the vision of the PFSD/UNDAF are fully aligned with national development priorities and aspirations. Four thematic areas have been selected for further pursuit: 1. Governance, human rights and gender equality; 2. Sustainable, inclusive and equitable economic growth; 3. Environmental sustainability and resilience; 4. Inclusive and equitable social development. In total four Result Group (RG) were established for coordination of the PFSD/UNDAF thematic areas. UN Women is part of three areas and is leading the RG 1 on Governance, human rights and gender equality as well as is part of other coordination thematic groups. UN Women leads and participates in groups such as: UN Gender Thematic Group (UN GTG), UN Youth group, UN Operations Management Team, UN Communication Group, UN Monitoring and Evaluation Group, as well as acts as board members of the joint programs and initiatives. UN Women is also actively engaging CSOs through various platforms, including through their engagement in Civil Society Advisory Group.
In line with the Strategic Note, UN Women continues supporting UN concerted efforts on promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment, supplemented by UN Women contributions on coordinating the work on GE and WHR, advancing women’s leadership and participation in decision making in public and private sectors, as well as in the security sectors, contributing to women’s access, especially from rural areas to productive resources and services, providing social protection to the most excluded groups of women such as Roma and disabled, leading UN agencies efforts for ending violence against women and girls. The Strategic Note implementation is supported by the Government of Sweden for the period 2016-2020, a unique funding modality that was successfully tested during 2016-2017 and extended for the period 2018-2020.
UN Women is planning to increase its normative and coordination support to Belarus through close cooperation with the UN Country Team, as well as by partnering with the National authorities and Civil Society Organizations. Government of Belarus expressed its commitment to implementing the Agenda for Sustainable Development and achieving the SDGs and therefore assumed the obligation to combat all forms of violence against women. The country has made significant progress in addressing the issue of violence against women, thus UN Women aims to further support the country’s commitment to fulfilling its international obligations.
Reporting to the Regional Director, Europe and Central Asia region, the Country Representative is responsible for leading and managing the Moldova Country Office (CO) portfolio and for translating the UN Women’s Strategic Plan (SP) in line with regional and national priorities, into development initiatives and results by developing, implementing and managing programmes and projects for Moldova CO; and developing effective partnerships with Government counterparts, UN system agencies and organizations, civil society organizations, and with bilateral and non-traditional donors in order to promote inter-agency partnerships, support for UN reform, and mobilization of visibility and resources to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment. In Belarus, the incumbent will work with the UN Country Team (UNCT) to support GEWE related normative and high-level advocacy work, as well as support the programmatic work. Similarly, the incumbent will also represent the RO Regional Office (RO) and cover high level engagement with the various stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the strategic country programme planning and development:
- Develop and implement strategic direction of the Moldova CO;
- Lead the design, planning, formulation, preparation and development of the Country Strategic Note;
- Provide substantive advice to the Executive Director, Regional Director and Senior Management on the regional strategy, direction and planning of programmes and projects;
- Manage and ensure the quality of results-based and rights-based programming for the Moldova CO; Finalize the annual work plan and budget;
- Lead the monitoring of the results-based management approach to programme planning and design.
Manage the Moldova Country Office:
- Lead the office in the delivery of operational goals; Finalize the annual work plan and budget; and oversee the implementation, including providing direction, guidance and technical support;
- Oversee and approve programme work plans and monitor the overall progress and compliance of the Moldova CO;
- Manage the preparation of UN Women mandated country reports;
- Manage the audit review process and timely response to audit reports;
- Manage the performance of staff under his/her supervision; provide managerial direction, guidance and leadership to staff and provide performance feedback and coaching to staff under supervision;
- Maintain and update Moldova CO security strategy, plan, and measures to ensure full compliance with UN security policies, procedures and requirements.
Represent UN Women in UN system coordination:
- Serve as member of the UN Country Team (UNCT) under the strategic guidance and coordination of the UN Resident Coordinator (RC)/Humanitarian Coordinator (HC) and support UNCT programming and advocacy to ensure gender equality and women’s empowerment issues are fully integrated into UN programming processes, including the Common Country Assessment (CCA) and United Nations Development Assistance
- Framework (UNDAF) and in an enhanced response to national partners;
- Partner with RC and UN system partners to strengthen UN system interagency coherence, collaboration, planning, cooperation, resource mobilization, advocacy, common services, and operations; Facilitate joint programming and promote UN competencies to advance gender equality and women’s human rights; report to the UN RC on these issues as required
- Ensure UN Women’s active participation in UN system thematic and other working groups to establish effective networks and keep abreast of ongoing debates and thinking on development.
Represent UN Women and lead advocacy strategies:
- Represent UN Women in intergovernmental forums, public information/relations events and key meetings, participate in policy dialogue; discuss policy initiatives, report on progress achieved and/or present policy papers/ideas;
- Build relations and partnerships with high level and senior government officials as well as multi-lateral, bi-lateral agencies and NGOs; and participate in regional, country and other critical meetings and events;
- Lead and support advocacy for gender equality and women’s empowerment to ensure that UN support towards realization of the national plans and priorities are done in a gender responsive manner, and within agreed international frameworks that promote and protect gender equality.
Create and maintain strategic partnerships and manage resource mobilization strategies:
- Lead the development of resource mobilization strategies and manage the implementation of resource mobilization strategies, plans, and efforts;
- Establish and maintain relationships with government, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances on programme development and implementation and resource mobilization;
- Finalize donor reports and negotiate and/or approve cost-sharing agreements with donors; Establish reporting accountability framework to ensure that donors are duly informed on a timely basis.
Knowledge management, innovation and capacity building:
- Manage the development and implementation on Moldova CO communication plans, based on UN Women’s communication strategy;
- Approve the implementation of innovation and best practices in the Moldova CO;
- Promote learning and development by providing opportunities for training and capacity guiding to enhance the competencies/productivity of staff members;
- Lead the production of knowledge products and establishment of an internal knowledge management system.
Oversee the UN Women activities in Belarus:
- Work with the UN Country Team (UNCT) to support GEWE related normative, coordination and high-level advocacy work;
- Provide substantive advice to the Regional Director and Senior Management on the UN Women’s engagement and contribution to interagency, multi-country and other joint programmes and activities;
- Support UNCT and national partners by sharing best practices and knowledge on innovative approaches for GEWE related programmatic work in line with the international standards and norms (CEDAW, SDGs, BPfA)
- Represent the Regional Office (RO) and cover high level engagement with the various stakeholders.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality development and implementation of the Country Strategic Note and Annual Workplan;
- Timely and quality delivery on operational goals;
- Timely submission of UN Women Country Reports, donor reports, and audit responses;
- Quality and level of engagement with UNCT, including joint planning joint programming, joint resource mobilization, joint advocacy, working groups;
- UN Women is seen as a reliable and trustworthy partner by governments, donors and civil society;
- Timely development and implementation of Moldova CO resource mobilization strategy;
- Performance of staff, security plans are in place and up to date, office produces quality knowledge products.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in development related disciplines, economics or public policy or other social science fields is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible development experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in aid development cooperation, some of which is in gender and women’s issues programming, at the international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programmes or UN Mission;
- Field based experience working with multi-cultural teams;
- Experience in leading a team.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of Russian is an advantage;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language or additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.