UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women is committed to the achievement of equality between women, men, boys and girls as partners and beneficiaries of humanitarian action. UN Women is leading and coordinating the United Nations System to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It is providing strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence is an annual international campaign rooted in civil society. It takes place between 25 November, the International Day for Elimination of Violence against Women, and 10 December, Human Rights Day. The campaign brings individuals and organisations around the world together to call for the prevention and elimination of violence against women and girls in all its forms, be it sexual violence as a weapon of war or intimate partner violence in the privacy of one’s own home. The United Nations Secretary-General’s UNiTE to End Violence against Women Campaign supports the movement with its global advocacy campaign which utilises the colour orange to represent a brighter future, free from gender-based violence, as a unifying theme running through all its global activities. This year’s theme is Orange the World: Generation Equality Stands Against Rape! The campaign aims to make the stories and experiences of survivors seen and heard and to bring a final end to the silence, stigma and shame around gender-based violence.
UN Women Nordic office is seeking a consultant to help facilitate the work of the campaign.
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose and Objective of the Consultancy
The objective of this consultancy is to provide design support for events and for advocacy support material.
Scope of Work and Responsibilities
- Design a mobile exhibition in collaboration with UN Women and get approval, order equipment and follow up with service provider and one banner for outdoor visibility (7 days)
- Install and dismantle the mobile exhibition in three locations (3 days)
The consultant is expected to deliver the following outputs:
- Mobile exhibition designed, installed and dismantled (10 days).
- Proven ability to design and implement relevant and targeted initiatives
- Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships with a variety of stakeholders and develop inter-institutional coordination and communication mechanisms.
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Core Values and Ethics:
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and able to work in a multi-national environment
- Support the Organization’s corporate goal
- Comply with UN WOMEN rules, regulations and code of conduct
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Build effective client relationships and partnerships
- Interact with all levels of staff in the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Build and share knowledge
- Make valuable practice contributions
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Listen actively and respond effectively
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Graphic Design, Arts or related topic
- At least 10 years of experience in the use of graphic art in communications; arts, graphic design, photography or related fields;
- Demonstrated experience in working with different media including photography, graphic arts, communication material and installations;
- Demonstrated experience in leading the design of innovative installations for high-level international events, and implementing these installations at these events;
- Experience in developing innovative means of communication;
- Experience in developing exhibitions, material and experience rooms;
- Excellent rapport in understanding culturally diverse audiences for messaging;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with a minimum of guidance while seeing consensus, and ability to deliver on target and on time.
- Fluency in the English language required, with strong, confident command of both written and oral English.
- Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide a copy of their portfolio with relevant works, or internet links to events that can demonstrate the above.
Application closing date: 20th September 2019 (Midnight New York, USA)