Media and Communication Expert – UNWomen – Home Based
Duties and Responsibilities
The Media and Communication consultant will work to produce the following deliverables over a 12- month period:
Women Peace and Security, and Humanitarian Action (WPS/HA)
- Preparation of social media content on key developments/data in WPS-HA in the region (i.e. on an ad hoc or rolling basis)
- Production of all content in Arabic and English
- 3-6 interviews annually with influential women from the region for the series “From where I stand” with high profile photo and interviewees’ bios.
Events Communications Packages
The communication expert to develop 7 event communication packages before each UN Women ROAS hosted event, which can be rolled out by the WPS-HA, RO and HQ communication, and monitored by the WPS-HA communication expert. The package should include the following:
- A press release for the launch of an event
- A number of suggested tweets/hashtags prepared for sharing during the event (2-3 tweets per event)
- A brief overview article of the event with key note speakers quotes
- Support to mobilization of the press to attend key events
The communication expert to develop a knowledge product communication package for 5 knowledge products before the release of each ROAS knowledge product, which can be rolled out by the WPS-HA, RO and HQ communication, and monitored by the communication expert. The package should always include the following:
- Brief overview of the knowledge product with key findings (1-2 articles per project i.e. a launch of and a final report article with key findings)
- Draft tweets and hashtags articulated around key findings
- Two infographs setting out the findings of the knowledge product (guide the production – actual production to be undertaken by a design company, funded directly by UN Women)
Success Stories/News Stories
- 3-6 annually brief pieces for the UN Women website highlighting good work of UN Women and partners (CSO, Govt etc) – highlighting impact.
UN Women’s Madad Programme
- Support the country offices in the implementation of the programme’s communications plan in line with UN Women and the donors’ communication strategy and guidelines;
- Maintain regional programme online outreach, coordinate its migration of content if needed and produce information materials and development of web content for public outreach;
- Coordinate communication activities with UN communication colleagues at regional /national level;
- Prepare and manage the bi-monthly E-newsletter, corporate branding, provide support to media advocacy and campaigns and provide strategic guidance on innovative strategies and actions for visibility of the programme.
Support country offices in the implementation of the programme’s communications plan in line with UN Women and the European Union communication guidelines and strategy
- Work through the established communication strategy for the programme and suggest further innovative approaches for high visibility throughout the programme cycle;
- Build and maintain relationships with the media to communicate widely about the programme and work to develop a database of journalists and media outlets interested in the programme;
- Identify, attract and engage key regional and international media outlets, opinion leaders and influencers in support of the programmes’ communication and advocacy goals;
- Adhere to UN Women and donor branding and visibility guidelines across all applications;
- Ensure consistency and quality of all digital and print communication applications;
- Plan and lead the implementation of a high-level programme visibility, especially during the global and regional strategic events.
Maintain regional programme online outreach, coordinate its migration of content if needed and produce information materials for public outreach
- Oversee programme webpage technical and editorially in line with the corporate web policy;
- Oversee and manage regional social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy and provide inputs to corporate social media accounts;
- Opportunities for press conferences identified and press conferences organized; press releases and media kits drafted;
- Clear, consistent and timely responses to media inquiries; issuance of statement and corporate positions to media and other external audiences;
- Draft brochures, fact sheets, stories from the field to inform media and public;
- Produce relevant video material on the programme’s work when needed;
- Effective channels for dissemination of all information products to relevant target audiences identified and distribution supervised.
- Coordinate communication activities with UN communication colleagues at regional /national level:
- Regular consultation with regional/national communication/programme teams to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives;
- Feedback to national programme teams with a view to coordinate programme communication initiatives: informs about regional /national activities, provide inputs for corporate initiatives, seeks advice and support;
- Regular contributions to and advice provided on programme’s materials, e.g. website, video productions, stories, newsletter, infographs etc. to highlight regional/national results.
UN Women’s Madad Programme
- Management of content for social media platforms in the region, and keep track of social media analytics
- Sharing facts and figures on the status of women in the programme countries (and in the world/region) from UN Women commissioned studies/research, national data, and partner/sister UN agency studies – minimum 2 per week;
- Sharing key messages and information on MADAD programme work including programme background, factsheets, and updates – minimum 1 per week;
- Quotes and articles from project-based M&E, partner, donor, field and courtesy visits – minimum 2 per week;
- Production of 1 E-Newsletter in coordination with the country teams: January 2020;
- Production and coordination of infographs, human interest stories, information commemorating International UN Days that highlight the programme goals focusing on women and girls (1 human interest story per country per month): Monthly;
- Maintenance of a digital photo library of photo stories/ programme activities photos in UN Women webpage based on the materials received from the country teams: Coordinate with countries for the photo archive;
- Management and coordination of programme visibility events – produce at least one press release/ op-ed/ media interface: Minimum 1 event press releases;
- Collate the communications package for sharing with donors collecting all the communications materials generated in each quarter: Quarterly;
- News/ communication updates and information is provided on bi-weekly basis for regional and global communications: Continuous.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Journalism and communication or related disciplines is preferred;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum 5 years of experience in the communications field;
- Communication literacy, electronic networks and software used for communication purposes;
- Computer literacy, electronic networks, and software used for communication purposes (i.e. Websites, electronics bulletin, etc.);
- Good experience with new media and generating web content;
- Practical experience working with the organizations/ private sector/communities in implementing development related projects/activities;
- Understanding the donors’ communications guidelines; work experience in managing similar programme, especially EU supported programme is preferred;
- Familiar with gender issues, and preferable on women, peace and security;
- Familiar with UN Women and UN system is an asset;
- Significant experience in the Middle East and North Africa is a strong asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required;
- Knowledge of other UN official working language is an asset.