Economics Specialist – UNDP – Port Louis, Mauritius
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides high quality economic analysis to UNDP and UNCT programmes and ensures that UNDP programmes are in line with Global commitments, national policies and priorities through:
- Developing and maintaining the socio-economic database and qualitative information on current development issues;
- Analyzing and reporting on economic and statistical data on key development issues of importance to the country through preparation of briefs and policy notes;
- Undertaking of studies/research on emerging development aligning with country context in collaboration with other Development Partners;
- Providing technical and analytical leadership and/or drafting support for the preparation of UNDP flagship reports or knowledge products prepared by UNDP programmes or finance by UNDP including Voluntary National Reports and National Human Development Reports;
- Providing analysis and substantive inputs to Common Country Assessments, UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), UNDP Country Programme Documents, project and programme documents and other strategic documents;
- Providing support to monitoring and reporting on the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (UNSDCF);
- Assisting the UNDP multi-country office in resource mobilization efforts as an Upper MIC and HIC;
- Provide oversight support to the programme team in conducting sector specific analytics works.
Provides high quality policy advice to the Government, UNDP management, programmes and projects focusing on achievement of the 2030 Agenda, Agenda 2063 and the Government’s development aspirations through:
- Monitoring national, regional and global developments an advising on their implications on the country and UNDP programme;
- Providing backstopping support to governments, UNDP and other actors in line with UNDP’s development mandate;
- Providing top quality specialized support the Resident Representative in engaging in strategic policy discourse, and managing the Country Programme, through preparation of policy and guidance notes, speeches and other delivery mechanisms, as appropriate;
- Working effectively with UNDP Headquarters and regional offices, and sister UN agencies, through the RBA, to advance the 2030 Agenda at the country level;
- Advising on possible areas for UNDP support and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities;
- Providing management support to the programme team in conducting sector specific analytical works.
Advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDP mandate and mission focusing on:
- Public and policy advocacy for the SDGs, pro-poor and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and trainings;
- Supporting the monitoring of progress and formulation of strategies toward the achievement of the SDGs;
- Production and launch of economic reports, including National Human Development Reports;
- Managing of events and publications on economic issues;
- Representing UNDP in different working groups.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Development Economics, Environmental Economics and related fields.
- A PhD in Economics or related fields would be an asset.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience related to economic development issues;
- Demonstrable experience in economic research and policy-level analysis, including the provision of policy advice at the national and international levels;
- Demonstrable experience related to inclusive development, environmental economics, pro-poor policy development and implementation would be desirable;
- Demonstrable experience in publications on economic issues at national or international level, high quality reports, strategic reporting and analysis would be desirable;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes or statistical analysis of data;
- Working experience in Upper MIC/HIC contexts is desirable.
- Proficiency in English.
- Working knowledge of French will be an asset.
Closing date for applications 27 January 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com