Application closing date: 21 June 2019
Benin is one of the most vulnerable countries in the world with the adverse effects of climate change (155 out of 181 countries) in 2018. Climate scenarios predict an increase in temperatures from 2.6 ° C to 3.27 ° C. 2100. The main climate risks facing the country are: drought, floods, late and severe rains, strong winds and sea level rise. Changes in rainfall patterns will exacerbate droughts and droughts. floods in the country.
Adaptation to climate change is a priority of the Government and efforts are being made in this direction. However, several barriers block its sufficient consideration in documents and policies. These include the inadequacy or lack of quality of economic analyzes and in-depth risk and vulnerability assessments in the key socio-economic sectors of the Government’s Agenda for Action, the limitations of coordination of actions against the adverse effects of climate change that do not facilitate the integration and monitoring of Climate Change Adaptation, the lack of harmonization of the monitoring and assessment system of climate change in the National Statistical System and the weak capacity of the National Fund for Environment and Climate (FNEC) to attract public and private funding for effective climate change adaptation planning .
Faced with this situation, Benin looked for mechanisms that could accompany it in the development of its National Adaptation Plan for the adverse effects of climate change. Thus, following the decision GCF / B.13 / 05 of 17 June 2016 of the Green Climate Fund (GCF) to finance the processes of National Adaptation Plans (NAPs), Benin seized this opportunity to introduce its request. from this institution. A favorable opinion has been given and the Government has designated the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) to support the process. It is therefore an initiative of the Government of Benin supported by UNDP which aims toFacilitate the integration of climate change adaptation into budgets and planning processes and increase access to domestic and external finance for climate change adaptation. This overall goal will be achieved through three outcomes: (i) The economic impacts of climate change are assessed and adaptation options are prioritized for effective budgeting and planning., (Ii) Integration of adaptation to climate change in budgeting processes is facilitated and, (iii) the National Environment and Climate Fund (FNEC) is strengthened to attract public and private funds for effective adaptation planning to climate change.
It is to realize these different products that the project National Adaptation Plan (NAP) in Benin was formulated by theGovernment of Benin, and has received funding from the Green Climate Fund (GCF) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) for its implementation. It will build on the achievements of the PANA Energy, PMSD, Biomass Electricity, PANA Agriculture and other projects. and work in synergy with ongoing initiatives at the GIZ-supported NAPAP to avoid duplication and optimize the use of available resources. It will be implemented according to a direct implementation approach by UNDP with a flexibility mechanism that will facilitate the conduct of project activities in asserting national leadership and ownership of results. So,
Duties and Responsibilities
Main expected results of the position
- High-level strategic advisory support on climate change vulnerability and adaptation issues in all dimensions of resilience development is provided
- Support for national capacity building on climate change vulnerability and adaptation issues across all dimensions of resilience development is ensured
- Support for the realization of vulnerability studies and development of the National Adaptation Plan process
- Private sector mobilization and private investment for national climate action are effective, efficient and sustainable
- A mapping of innovations and knowledge management is developed and updated regularly.
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Coordinator in close collaboration with the members of the Project Team, the Expert will have the following main responsibilities:
High-level strategic advisory support on climate change vulnerability and adaptation issues in all dimensions of resilience development
- Produce periodic technical notes on the implementation of the NAP, its link to the SDGs, the Nationally Determined Contribution and sectoral policies for the UNDP Management.
- Identify and analyze, according to national priorities, the state of integration of Climate Change Adaptation into sectoral and national policies.
- Mapping institutions for adaptation planning at the national level, analyzing and strengthening their capacities for effective cross-sectoral coordination, collaboration and management of the complexities of adaptation in priority sectors.
- Identify and communicate on the areas of change that influence the NAP (new directions for development planning at the national level, new policy directions, socio-economic changes, increasing knowledge about climate change and vulnerability, experiences accumulated in the NAP implementation process, feedback from the M & E system, new impetus for international climate negotiations).
- Support advocacy both at the level of the National Assembly and at the level of the Economic and Social Council and at the level of the Ministries of Economy and Finance and Planning and Development for the consideration of climate change both during budget preparation only in the execution of national and sectoral budgets.
- Prepare policy notes on the state and prospects of adaptation in Benin.
- Support the development of tools for assessing the economic impact of climate change to inform budgeting processes in priority sectors.
- Support and oversee the development of guidelines for integrating Climate Change Adaptation into sectoral and national plans.
- Support the periodic production of analytical notes on climate governance and transparency of funding for national climate action
- Identify and propose partnership and financing initiatives for national climate action through South-South cooperation.
- Monitor and periodically review international debates on adaptation to climate change.
Support to National Capacity Building on Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Issues in All Dimensions of Resilience Development
- Organize and support the capacity development of national institutions and individuals with regard to their skills and the expertise needed to overcome obstacles and achieve adaptation results.
- Provide capacity building for universities, research institutes, NGOs and sectoral ministries on climate risk assessment and vulnerability and adaptation methodology.
- Raise awareness on the concept of adaptation to climate change and the difference between adaptation and normal development in priority sectors.
- Organize the development of national capacities to address the fragmentation of national mandates for adaptation.
- Organize the development of national capacities to cope with the uneven availability of information and knowledge.
- Ensure the formation of a critical mass of national experts on CC adaptation in the priority sectors of the project.
- Provide technical support to the various works carried out in the priority sectors of the project.
- Participate in the training of officials from ministries, institutions and structures and municipalities on the integration of climate change adaptation into budgets and development plan.
- Support the adaptation option chosen for the project.
- Participate in the network of knowledge exchange, good practices and sharing experiences on economic modeling of climate change.
- Participate in prioritizing options for adapting to climate change.
- Provide support for the integration, implementation and monitoring of climate change issues / elements into planning documents.
Support for the realization of vulnerability studies and development of the National Adaptation Plan process
- Propose and adopt an update of the NAP Roadmap.
- Prioritize adaptation options in priority areas.
- Manage capacity gaps and weaknesses related to the NAP process.
- Identify available information on climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation; assessment of gaps and needs related to creating an enabling environment for the NAP process.
- Mobilize Climate Information for risk and vulnerability assessments.
- Contribute to the NAP formulation document based on adaptation options identified in the three urban planning and infrastructure, forestry and energy sectors.
- Take stock through a mega-analysis of vulnerability and adaptation studies to climate change in Benin.
- Ensure the complementarity and synergy of existing studies on vulnerability and adaptation to climate change with those that will be carried out in the three priority sectors.
- Plan and conduct vulnerability studies leading to the adoption of a National Adaptation Plan.
- Identify the difficulties of implementing the National Adaptation Plan and propose measures to manage these difficulties.
- Ensure a common understanding of the basic concepts of climate change and adaptation.
- Analyze the links between adaptation and development.
- Reflect on the challenges and benefits of adaptation.
- Identify and advocate for the adoption of adaptation options in order of priority.
- Define the Long-Term Adaptation Implementation Strategy.
- Put in place a mechanism to ensure the effectiveness of the Coordination of Policies, Programs, and Projects to Adapt to Climate Change.
- Advise on the quality of tendering processes, works and documents produced by firms.
- Advise on the implementation of the necessary support to be given to all partners.
- Monitor and advise on the quality of work performed by service providers and partners.
- Manage the data collection process on behalf of project activities and monitor activities in their area of expertise.
- Provide assistance to service providers in the design of modules / manuals and training of stakeholders in the field of climate change.
- Organize and lead training and capacity-building seminars and workshops to analyze and understand climate change for the benefit of national experts.
- Provide the necessary assistance to communities for adaptation to climate change.
- Oversee climate risk and vulnerability assessments in priority areas.
- Provide technical support to consultants preparing funding proposals for the Green Climate Fund.
Private sector mobilization and private investment for national climate action are effective, efficient and sustainable
- Ensure the mobilization of all development actors around the NAP process, including the private sector and civil society organizations, then the scientific research community.
- Make national actors, including the private sector, aware of the need to engage in the NAP process, which offers economic opportunities and the potential for long-term savings (economic growth and climate-resilient development complement each other) mutually).
- Informing national actors that inaction involves uncontrollable costs in the future, hinders development and poverty reduction, and introduces new risks to food security.
- Reassure that adaptation to climate change offers business opportunities.
- Provide actors with accessible tools to facilitate their understanding of climate change adaptation.
A Mapping of Innovations and Knowledge Management is developed and updated regularly
- Ensure the transfer of knowledge in the daily work.
- In conjunction with the Public Finance Expert, provide technical products (call for tender, technical reports, quarterly, annual, progress report) as part of a monitoring and evaluation mechanism, and its implementation. involve all stakeholders at both national and local levels.
- Develop terms of reference in his areas of expertise on behalf of the project for subcontracts.
- Provide technical assistance in the preparation of periodic reports, draft budgets and other documents, taking into account climate change.
- Support communication on successful climate change adaptation initiatives.
- Develop in relation with the expert in public finance, the project exit strategy.
- Monitor results-based implementations of actions and adaptation plans.
- Contribute to the evaluation of the project.
- Map innovations in climate change adaptation.
- Perform any other tasks contributing to the achievement of project results.
Required Skills and Experience
University degree, level BAC + 5 in agronomy, environment, geography, hydrology or equivalent.
- Justify at least 07 years of proven professional experience in the field of climate change adaptation and development projects.
- Have relevant experience in the priority areas of the project including Energy, Forest Ecosystems, Infrastructure and Urban Development, Coastal Zone (Coastline), Tourism, Agriculture (including Livestock and Fisheries), Water Resources and Health related to adaptation to climatic changes.
- Have experience in designing and organizing training and communication programs focused on climate change (adaptation, vulnerability, mitigation, etc.).
- good knowledge of UNDP / GCF procedures and guidelines is an asset.
- have a good knowledge of the situation of gender inequalities in the priority areas of the project.
- have a good knowledge of environmental assessment tools and methods and national plan development for climate change adaptation.
- have a good knowledge of the computer tool.
- be able to work in a multidisciplinary team.
Have a perfect command of the French language (especially at the editorial level) as well as a good use of English.