In 2019 the UNDP Moldova launched the fifth phase of the European Union Confidence Building Measures Programme (EU-CBM V), funded by the European Union and implemented by the UNDP Moldova. The overall goal of the Program is to increase confidence between both banks of the Nistru River by ensuring socio-economic development through involvement of local authorities, civil society organizations, private actors, and other community stakeholders.
The EU CBM programme is focused on 4 specific fields: promoting business development; support to community development and cross river platforms of cooperation; preserving cultural and historical heritage and assistance to media development and cooperation.
Culture is essential for the development of any society. Culture may have a strong dynamic and transformative force for social transformation on both banks. The activities under this component will provide support to the cultural sector with a focus on historical heritage with a view to investing in the country’s future and facilitating development and conflict settlement.
Cultural and Historical heritage component focuses on conservation-restoration of historical monuments of national importance and on conservation-restoration of smaller scaled historical heritage endangered projects, which are considered to have a national interest for both banks (Confidence building measures dimension).
Two Flagship projects to undergo conservation-restoration under EU-CBM programme are: Bender Fortress located in Transnistrian region and Chisinau Circus located in capital of Moldova.
Since the Programme started in January 2019, synergies were established with EU-funded TWINNING programme whose experts provided series of seminars on conservation-restoration practices as well as conducted preliminary assessments of both Flagship project sites.
Duties and Responsibilities
The major objective of present assignment is to provide guidance, strategic advice and support to EU CBM V Programme in the conceptualization, initiation and operationalization of Cultural heritage component of the programme.
The scope of work will consist of consulting on relevant International procedures for Cultural Heritage component implementation, both for identified Flagship projects and yet to be selected smaller scale cultural heritage projects, providing a clear guidance for short term and long term interventions, participation in developing of relevant TORs, supervision and monitoring of both design and conservation/restoration works.
The expected outputs of the present assignment are:
- Provision of specific technical expertise for identification, contracting, supervision and monitoring of subcontractors to elaborate masterplans, conduct technical expertise and develop technical design, and perform conservation/rehabilitation works at two Flagship Projects – Bender Fortress and Chisinau Circus;
- Assistance in implementation of Cultural Heritage component (conceptualization, identification of focus areas, development of selection criteria for grant support of 10 small scale cultural heritage objects; provide support in the evaluation and implementation process).
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Architectural Conservation/Architecture; Economics applied to Cultural heritage; Land Use Planning/Urban Planning; Archeology or other relevant field.
Years of experience:
- At least 10 years of progressive professional international experience (expertise, management position, consultancy, advising, etc.) in the area of Cultural Heritage conservation;
- Possession of relevant professional licenses [if any, please, submit copies];
- At least 5 records of practical experience in developing masterplans/conservation programmes/supervision of conservation works for cultural heritage sites;
- Experience of work in Moldova and/or South East European Countries is an advantage;
- Experience of work with international organizations/projects, including UN and/or European ones;
- Proven experience in strategic programming and project proposal drafting
Application closing date: 22 July 2019