Guarantee and Investment Consultant – UNDP
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the UNCDF Zambia Country Lead. The duties and responsibilities of the Guarantee and Investment consultants will include:
Structuring of the SIDA-UNCDF collaboration
- Understand the guarantee frameworks of both organizations, including their underwriting procedures, their financial rules and regulations, and their legal constraints;
- Participate in the discussions with SIDA on the best structure for the collaboration between the organizations;
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of an adequate legal, financial, and operational framework, clearly defining roles and responsibilities of each party.
- Conduct a market scoping to assess the appetite, the potential participants (lenders and borrowers) and the optimal structure for a loan and guarantee facility in Zambia, which would be placed under the global umbrella of the SIDA-UNCDF collaboration on guarantees;
- Develop a pipeline of investible projects for digitally enabled MSMEs in finance, energy, water and agriculture for the Loan and Guarantee facility;
- Support the structuring of transactions with a lending and/or guarantee component, while maximizing the potential of commercial co-financing;
- Monitor and conduct post-investment follow-ups of deployed transactions, including utilization of guarantee facilities;
- For the guarantee transactions supported by SIDA, liaise and coordinate with SIDA personnel as needed;
- Liaise with HQ-based LDCIP team through the entire investment process, from the initial assessment of new opportunities, risk analysis, due diligence to contributions to the portfolio management and follow-up activities;
- Train UNCDF in-country staff on the use of new financial instruments, primarily guarantees and loans;
- Support UNCDF’s Country teams in understanding how to use new financial instruments, especially guarantees, and support them in using UNCDF’s loan and guarantee instruments in their operations.
- Analyze and underwrite new guarantee and loan proposals, preparing the required documentation, such as screening and assessment memorandums and monitoring papers;
- Assess and analyze financial accounts (balance sheet, income statement and cash flow analysis) of prospective guarantees and/or loans’ recipients;
- Complete discrete on-site due diligence tasks and conduct risk analysis on selected FSPs, MSMES, etc.;
- Follow and comply with UNCDF’s investment policy and procedures for approval, including presenting the transactions to Investment Committees.
Business Advisory support
- Provide technical assistance and training to the FSPs who have agreed to partner in guarantee on improving capacity on lending to digitally enabled MSMEs and Agents networks
- Support several partners to access the guarantee structure
- Provide pre-investment business advisory support to MSMEs that want to access debt financing through FSPS which have received guarantee facilities. This may include building investable projects to access the facility, drafting business plans, building financial models, defining Standard Operating procedures, etc.;
- Provide post-investment business advisory support to MSMEs which received loans through the guarantee facilities to ensure a continued growth of the business and the social impact, including successful management of debt financing received.
- The consultant will also support the East and Southern Africa Digital Lead through advisory and technical inputs to scope and-or scale up investment opportunities in the region
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (master’s or higher) in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, or equivalent is mandatory;
- A first university degree in related fields, with two additional years of relevant experience will also be acceptable, in lieu of a master’s degree;
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) diploma, or similar, is preferable but not mandatory.
- Minimum 6 plus years of work experience in either the financial sector or the private sector or a mix, preferably with investment and/or business management expertise;
- Experience with business planning and financial projections is mandatory;
- Experience in project preparation and/or in development of investment opportunities, especially for projects in developing countries is mandatory.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience of guarantee operations is preferable;
- Experience in working within an international financial environment, preferably with multilateral organizations, development finance institutions, impact investors, and/or investment banks/funds is preferable;
- Spoken and written fluency in English required.
Closing date for applications 12 June 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com