National Consultant – Environmental Economist
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant should work in close consultation with and under the guidance and supervision of the UNDP project manager (PM). Specifically, his\her responsibilities, which are to be done jointly with a technical expert (civil engineer), are but not limited to the following:
- Review Environmental Approximation Strategy of Bosnia and Herzegovina (EAS – BIH) with a special focus to water management sector.
- Review other relevant documentation, including those prepared for developing Directive Specific Implementation Plan (DSIP) for Flood Directive and Action Plans for Implementation of the Directive (APID) for FBiH, RS and BD of BiH
- Review ongoing activities in B&H related to flood management (infrastructural, legal, financial)
- Update/develop inventory of the existing physical flood protection infrastructure in BiH;
- Assess institutional capacities and availability of the tools and equipment for information management, flood forecasting, inter-institutional cooperation, reporting etc.;
- Set service targets for approximation on the basis of a well-documented current situation;
- Define the best available techniques to be employed;
- Prioritize investments in the country;
- Provide costs estimation for investments, operation and maintenance
- Determine the macro-affordability constraints for all administrative levels;
- Provide clear justification, from the financial and economic point of view, of the transition periods required for full compliance;
- Develop guidelines document for further updates of DSIP and APIDs.
- Archiving and documenting all activities;
- Ensuring the timely and effective management of the activities as scheduled.
Required Skills and Experience
- BSc Degree in economics;
- Minimum 10 years of experience;
- Proven experience in environmental sector;
- Proven experience in project related to flood protection;
- Experience in working with government stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the water management issues in B&H;
- Knowledge of B&H institutional set-up;
- Familiarity with institution and processes related to flood protection in BiH;
- Good understanding of climate change and sustainable development issues;
- Knowledge of the EU water and flood directives;
- Knowledge and understanding of the most vulnerable sectors in B&H;
- Knowledge of English;