1. Policy Research and Development
- Develop guidance in the specific thematic area, and related tools for the implementation of global policy standards, including testing and roll out of tools and methodologies in line with the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals, and UNDP’s Covid 2.0 Offer;
- Develop policy initiatives for different contexts on key emerging policy agendas related to social protection floors, income support benefits and/or employment guarantees and services for the unemployed and working poor, and those in the informal economy, in collaboration with policy teams in the Regional Hubs bringing in perspectives and knowledge from Country Offices and the regions;
- Coordinate and conduct analysis of data, case evidence and research findings to distill relevant lessons from projects and programmes to inform policy formulation and guidance;
- Develop relevant analysis and guidance, in close collaboration with BPPS strategic policy and engagement team, on emerging issues of global significance and contribute to new research, including through working with the Global Policy Centers (as necessary);
- Guide the policy teams in the Regional Hubs in applying policy and tools to crisis contexts in collaboration with the Livelihoods and Economic Recovery team (Crisis Bureau) to make them relevant for specific situations; and
- Support the quality assurance of policy services and foster policy innovation in the specific thematic area of social protection by reviewing lessons learned and evaluations to enhance programme delivery.
2. Policy Advice/ Programme and Project Delivery Support
- In collaboration with the GPN teams in the Regional Hubs, support the integration of technical advice into programmes and projects that responds to country office needs, including through the provision of capacity building and backstopping;
- Apply integrated multi-disciplinary approaches, including through setting up, coordinating and engaging with GPN teams to meet policy and programming needs in line with corporate guidance and standards;
- Provide support to Regional Hub and Country Office teams in their application of risk management tools across country typologies by answering questions, providing guidance and sharing relevant documents and lessons learned; and
- Support the Team Leader in liaising with the Crisis Bureau to ensure a rapid and well-coordinated response to crisis and conflict situations and provide related contributions to country offices.
3. Policy Positioning and Representation
- Provide substantive and content input to contribute to mobilizing, fostering and strengthening strategic partnerships with UN entities and other relevant bodies and provide inputs to those partnerships in support of UNDP initiatives;
- Prepare briefing notes and speeches, as well as inputs to corporate reporting exercises such as the integrated working plan, evaluations, audit processes as of relevance to the Inclusive Growth Team;
- Provide substantive input in the process of advocating the importance of the thematic area of social protection and leaving no one behind in various fora, including UN, academia and civil society, with a view to deepen related political commitment and related reforms; and
- Support the GPN in its engagement with UN interagency coordination mechanisms in relevant policy areas by drafting briefing, preparing for and participating in meetings.
4. Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- In collaboration with BERA, support the Head of Inclusive Growth to engage with global partners and develop/implement a resource mobilization plan under corporate guidelines, including to fulfill corporate and donor reporting, advocacy and information-sharing requirements;
- Provide substantive inputs related to global external partnerships in the area of work, including leading on UNDP’s role and contribution to ILO’s Social Protection Floor Initiative and the Social Protection Inter-Agency Cooperation Board; and Develop implementation plan to foster strategic partnerships with UN and external partner institutions, Governments, private sector, academia, NGOs, and CSOs.
5. Knowledge Management
- Coordinate team contributions and support to corporate KM activities, whether at the global, cross-regional or region-specific level to help influence/advance policy dialogue in the thematic area of social protection in collaboration with policy teams at HQ and in Regional Hubs;
- Coordinate and perform knowledge extraction, analysis, documentation, codification of results/lessons learned in the specific thematic area, and verify that knowledge sharing, and content management is in line with guidelines and performed using corporate tools;
- Contribute to the Community of Practice on Poverty and Inequality by consolidating country cases, experiences, good practices of relevance to the area of leaving no one behind and social protection, including as it relates to the Covid-19 recovery offer.