In line with the One Strategic Plan of the UN in Viet Nam for the period 2017-2021, UNDP Country Programme Document (CPD) for the period 2017-2021 underlines UNDP’s work to promote green, resilient and sustainable development in Viet Nam. UNDP targeted policy advisory service and technical assistance will assist Viet Nam to mobilize, track and make more effective use of mobilized resource, including public/private domestic and international finance for biodiversity conservation, environmental protection, climate resilience and low-emission development.
UNDP has been cooperating closely with key ministries and institutions, including Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD), Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT), Ministry of Health (MOH), , research institutions, universities, and sub-national authorities to introduce policy framework, scale up best practices and pilot innovative actions at localities and with businesses, in the areas of environmental protection, biodiversity conservation, waste management and treatment.
Under the supervision of Assistant Resident Representative (ARR) / Head of Climate Change and Environment, the Programme Analyst is responsible for management, development and innovation of the Environment and Biodiversity portfolio of UNDP Viet Nam, including enhancing partnership with stakeholders and resource mobilization. The Programme Analyst will work closely with the Technical Advisors, Technical Specialists, with Accelerator Lab team, support staff in Viet Nam, and relevant Regional Technical Advisor in Bangkok Regional Hub (BRH).
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
The Programme Specialist, Environment and Biodiversity, has three main functions:
- Effective management and implementation of the Environment and Biodiversity portfolio
- Effective formulation and development of and resource mobilization
- Quality technical and policy advice services and innovation
1. Effective management and implementation of the Environment and Biodiversity portfolio (60% of time):
- Enhance partnership and work closely and effectively with the project counterparts and development partners;
- Provide proper guidance to the project counterparts for effective planning, management and implementation of projects to ensure timely implementation of activities and chievement of quality results; including timely preparation and approval of the projects’ and work-packages’ annual and quarterly quality work-plans;
- Effectively apply result-based management (RBM) tools in management; establishment of M&E and reporting framework, including management targets and monitoring the achievement of results, performance indicators/ success criteria, and regular update of baselines, targets and milestones in the Project’s results resources frameworks;
- Timely analyze the situation in programme/project, financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the project, identification of operational and financial risks, development of solutions, in full compliance with
- Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer (HACT) guidelines;
- Performance of the functions of project manager in Atlas as defined and participation in recruitment processes for projects;
- Participate in the recruitment and procurement processes and coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercise, mid-year and mid-term reviews, and closure of the Project;
- Exercise risk management, including timely implementation of mitigation measures, and updating risk log and integrated work plan (IWP) in the Atlas system;
- Facilitate project audits, spot-checks, and follow-up on the implementation of recommendations;
- Ensure quality documentation of the project’s lessons learnt and best practices; quality publication of technical reports, policy briefs, and results;
- Ensure synergies and coherence between projects in CC and Resilience portfolio and other related projects and activities to bring about larger benefits and impacts of the UNDP’s Climate Change and Environment Programme in Viet Nam;
- Regular briefings and timely report to supervisor on any exceptions to facilitate timely actions and informed decisions;
- Prepare regular aggregate reports on activities, outputs and outcomes, including technical progress to donors as required;
- Active participation and contribution to the UN/ UNDP’s regular reports on outputs and outcomes as well as outcome evaluations, under the framework of the UN One Strategic Plan.
2. Effective formulation and development of and resource mobilization (20% of time)
- Implementation of the UNDP partnerships and resources mobilization strategies, focusing on project formulation to mobilize funds from various external resources;
- Build strong partnerships with Government institutions, development partners, private sector, NGOs, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP and country needs.
- Analyse Vietnamese development context (political, economic, social, cultural and historical), government policies, priorities/programs, and the needs of support that would influence UNDP technical assistance in Viet Nam;
- Identify policy, capacity development needs and knowledge gaps in the Government counterparts and that of communities for designing interventions and support through appropriate projects and activities;
- Work closely with UNDP technical advisors and specialists in Viet Nam and in Regional Bangkok Hub to identify opportunities to mobilize resources and ensure linkage between programmes and projects in Viet Nam and these at regional and global levels;
- Effectively coordinate, facilitate and support the formulation, appraisal and approval of UNDP concept notes and pipeline project proposals on climate change resilience for mobilizing resources; This includes (i) liaising and coordinating with government counterparts and related stakeholders well-informed and engaged in the development processes; (ii) timely mobilization of technical inputs/experts to address information gaps for the formulation, appraisal and approval processes; (iii) preparing necessary documentations, reports and/or plans, as part of UNDP and donors’ requests, for submission and appraisal of pipeline projects; and collecting necessary data and information for the project formulation
3. Quality technical and policy advice services and innovation
- Provide technical and policy advisory services to UNDP and the Government partners;
- Provide technical inputs to development of legal frameworks and policies, in partnership with the Government counterparts and other strategic partners;
- Facilitate policy dialogues and knowledge management, including (i) identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues; (ii) identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals; and (iii) quality contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Participate and contribute to knowledge management, including communities of practice and knowledge management networks;
- Facilitate policy dialogues and contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice knowledge management networks
- Lead and contribute to researches, policy papers, briefings, advocacy messages, and keynote speeches for policy dialogues and high-level events.
The key expected results include:
- Strong strategic partnership with government counterparts, institutions, financial entities, businesses, NGOs, CSOs and relevant stakeholders;
- Effective synergies and linkages with UNDP global and regional initiatives
- Substantive advice and technical support to the Government counterparts in the thematic areas;
- Quality knowledge products, including researches, policy analysis papers and thematic reports, reports, key note speeches, and substantive recommendations;
- Quality project’s and activity’s work-plans (annual and quarterly), results resources framework/log-frame, M&E tools, technical assurance/review mechanisms, and reports of the project;
- Quality and timely guidance to the Government implementing partners, staff at project management unites, project consultants, and contractors/ service providers;
- Effective facilitation and contribution to the development of Viet Nam’s relevant policies.
- Regular reports/ briefs and active communications with the supervisors and team members.
- Quality concept notes and project documents of new ideas for resource mobilization and planned interventions by UNDP. This requires the Programme Analyst to identify feasible initiative, lead the project formulation, consultation, and submission.
- Timely submission and approval of programme/project concepts and full-fledged proposals for financing from other donors if opportunities arise;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or advanced study in natural resources, environment, chemicals, development economics, development studies, and/or related subjects.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing policy advisory, advocacy, and research services, including partnership building in environmental protection and biodiversity conservation, innovation is an asset/advantage.
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation and management of development projects; sound knowledge of international best practices, national policies, legal and institutional frameworks in environment and biodiversity.
- Good analytical, conceptualization and communication skills; ability to work as team member in a multicultural environment.
- Good knowledge of gender equality and civil society participation are advantageous.
- Excellent command of both spoken and written English and Vietnamese, including excellent drafting skills.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Application closing date: 17 July 2019