Application closing date: 20 June 2019
The UNDP-GEF Unit is based in the Bureau for Development Policy (BOP) and is responsible for providing leadership, technical support and implementation oversight to the delivery of GEF Trust Funds. The Unit is organized into a number of substantive technical teams with staff located in both HQs and UNDP’s Regional Service Centers in Addis Ababa, Bratislava, Panama, and Bangkok, and with a decentralized structure in terms of financial, operational, and budget managements with authority delegated to respective managers located in HQ or in the region.
GEF Trust Funded projects in Africa are supported at the national level by UNDP Country Offices (COs) and at the regional level by Regional Coordination Units (RCUs). The projects are located in Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone countries.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Technical Advisors for Climate Change, the Programme Assistant is responsible for carrying out a full range of programme support tasks involving diverse work processes and methods which require interpretation of subject matter and application of rules and procedures to a wide variety of activities. The Programme Assistant promotes a client, and results-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations and ensures high quality and accuracy of work. The Programme Assistant works in close collaboration with the other Programme Assistants, Administrative Associate as well as staff in the Regional Centre, GEF HQs, other RCUs and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex programme-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates document processing related to project development in the region (regional and country level projects), checking for accuracy, updating PIMS and ATLAS, tracking required information and following-up on correspondence with project proponents, Country Offices and GEF Headquarters and processing documentation for submission, including final quality check regarding accuracy and compliance with formats and guidelines;
- Ensure all project information in UNDP-GEF database (PIMS) is correct and up to date at all time from the creation of a project in PIMS until the project’s operational and financial closure for projects under his/her portfolio;
- Updating the UNDP-GEF project data base (PIMS);
- Analyses project activities for new projects in the region and recommends executing modalities in order to ensure the best and most cost-effective services;
- Undertakes financial monitoring of the portfolio in the region and analyses of individual project budgets and budget revisions; advises Country Offices and/or Executing Agencies with regard to redeployment of funds and project closure and prepares GEF quarterly project delivery reports;
- Monitors project delivery and submission of progress reports and budget revisions for the region; identifies reasons for shortfall in delivery and recommends ways to correct situation;
- Maintains close contact with executing agencies recommending courses of action as appropriate and bringing to the RCs’ attention all technical issues that require attention/resolution;
- Assists in all aspects of regional portfolio management, including tracking of APR, PIR and evaluation requirements, and processing of required documentation. Maintains electronic and, where necessary, hard-copy files of all project and associated information;
- Organizes GEF training programmes and workshops in the region as appropriate including logistics, documentation; review of budget; authorization of expenses;
- Manages information flow between Country Offices and HQ on the regional portfolio to meet all reporting requirements and advises environmental focal point on procedural issues (mentoring);
- Compiles all necessary information for preparation of GEF consultants’ missions related to the regional portfolio, including: i) obtaining updated curricula vitae; ii) obtaining TORs from relevant sources; (iii) collating appropriate background documentation for dispatch to consultants in advance of mission. Liaises with GEF Headquarters regarding approval of recruitment and follows-up on contract issuance and payment;
- Assists RTAs in formulating quarterly mission travel plans, obtaining HQ management approval, preparing itineraries, booking flights and hotels, submitting travel requests to the CO administration, collecting related visas and travel documents (including tickets), collecting travel documents, and submitting completed travel settlement forms;
- Drafts correspondence and assists with other administrative tasks, as required;
- Assists in the preparation, updating and dissemination of PowerPoint and other presentations and in managing dissemination of information that describe the work and achievements of UNDP/GEF via the media;
- Backstops Programme Associates and performs ad-hoc tasks, as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum requirement of a Bachelor’s Degree. Educational qualifications in Environmental Management, Engineering or other relevant fields preferred.
- Two years of progressively responsible work experience, preferably in an international environment;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Computer-literate (MS Word, Excel, Power point, Internet and email-Outlook, Management software and databases);
- Knowledge of ATLAS is a strong asset.
Fluency in written and spoken English and French.