Application closing date: 20 June 2019
- Duty Station: Fiyadieh, Chukri Ghanem Lebanese Army Caserne
- Section/Unit: UNDP/Crisis Prevention & Recovery Programme/Enhancing the Capacity of the Lebanon Mine Action Center (LMAC) project
- Reports to: UNDP Mine Action Advisor
- Expected Starting Date: July 2019
- Project reference: 00098899
- Budgeted level: SC-5
The problem of mines and explosive remnants of war (ERW) in Lebanon has accumulated over four decades of internal and external conflict, resulting in the contamination of vast swathes of land. It is estimated that the contaminated land yet remaining to be cleared as at the end of 2018 amounted to around 42 million square meters, of which an estimated 75% can be used for agricultural purposes
The UNDP “Enhancing the Capacity of the Lebanon Mine Action Center” project contributes to the Lebanon Mine Action Strategy 2011-2020 strategic objectives: “The humanitarian and development impact posed by mines is reduced to a point where minimal residual risk can be sustainably addressed by a national capacity, which is fully integrated in regular government structures”. On the long-term, the UNDP project aims to reduce the impact of mines on the security and livelihood of the population in Lebanon and the region through the promotion of sustainable government structures. Concurrently, it will contribute to the Lebanon Crisis Response Plan (LCRP) 2015-2016 third strategic objective which aims at reinforcing Lebanon’s economic, social, environmental, and institutional stability by promoting security and livelihood of residents in Lebanon specifically through integrated humanitarian mine action and supporting the capacity building of the authority responsible for mine action. Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Mine Action Advisor, the Project Assistant will be responsible for the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the UNDP Mine Action Advisor in the preparation and revision of project work plans;
- Assist the UNDP Mine Action Advisor in preparing budgets and expenditure/financial reports;
- Process payment requests as and when needed by the project;
- Create e-requisitions on the UNDP financial software (Atlas)
- Assist the UNDP Mine Action Advisor in the preparation of donor progress reports, annual reports, newsletters, press releases, brochures, etc.
- Handle logistics of training sessions, workshops, meetings, and other activities/events such as preparing the agenda, organizing the venue, sending the invites, drafting the minutes of meetings;
- Assist in developing storylines for publications and substantive articles relating to UNDP’s support to institutional development;
- Assist in the preparation of terms of reference and procurement requests for consultants and/or companies in accordance with UNDP procurement guidelines and processes;
- Prepare and maintain adequate project staff files (leaves, mission, travel, etc.), process entitlement (daily subsistence allowance (DSA), remuneration), and follow up on contracts of project staff (extensions, renewals, etc.)
- Prepare security clearance, travel, accommodation, and transport arrangements for project/LMAC personnel;
- Maintain an efficient document filing and retrieval system;
- Assist in translating documents from English to Arabic and vice versa;
- Undertake other similar duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics or closely related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of the UN system, previous management of UN mine action projects, and familiarity with UN procedures are an asset;
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic; Knowledge of French is an asset.