Senior Energy Advisor – UNDP – Home Based
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Senior Energy Advisor will support UNDP Regional Hub for Arab States in scaling up cooperation in the region on sustainable energy for displaced communities. This will entail two key outputs: Firstly, the Senior Energy Advisor will support design of a new regional UNDP policy brief on Sustainable Energy for Displaced Communities elaborating the challenge of achieving SDG 7 on energy access in crisis contexts, the opportunity for closing the energy gap for crisis impacted communities, and the lessons learned from UNDPs local projects in recent years on the topic in places like Yemen, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Palestine, Libya, Lebanon and Iraq.
- Secondly, the Senior Energy Advisor will support the design of a new UNDP regional initiative on Sustainable Energy for Displaced Communities elaborating on the energy access challenge in crisis contexts across the region; the strategy for implementing the Arab Sustainable Energy Strategy (ASES) and Global Plan of Action (GPA) to close the energy gap for displaced communities in a way that scales up support to emergency and development needs. It will also focus on addressing long-term development priorities by providing sustainable sources of energy, supporting recovery efforts and building the resilience of countries through improved level of energy security; and elaboration of the key outputs, activities and budget requirements for the multi-year regional initiative. This will entail extensive consultations with UNDP regional and country units, regional bodies and other partner agencies engaged in energy access solutions.
- In the design of the regional policy brief and the regional initiative the Senior Energy Advisor will develop set of ideas for scaling up energy access priorities in crisis settings of the region, covering priorities such as policy innovation, scaling up finance and local capacity development. In doing so, s/he will draw upon and link with UNDPs ongoing initiatives on energy access in places like Yemen, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Palestine, Libya, Lebanon and Iraq. S/he will also ensure close alignment to the vision and focus of UNDPs Strategic Plan, the Arab Sustainable Energy Strategy and the Global Plan of Action on Sustainable Energy for Displaced Communities while ensuring regional development challenges are addressed.
- The new regional initiative will serve as a flagship initiative for achieving the goals of these three strategies in the context of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda and the Paris Agreement on climate change including, considering the transition to a low carbon, sustainable energy pathway. This is an important opportunity for the Arab Region to re-energize the region`s economy impacted by crisis, while bringing important co-benefits from local social and environmental goals. In particular the regional initiative will be an important basis for implementation of GPA priorities in the Arab Region, such as: enhancing coordination among development and humanitarian actors for expanding access to sustainable energy solutions in crisis settings, strengthening multi-stakeholder partnerships and innovative approaches to finance energy solutions in situations of displacement, capturing and sharing evidence-based best practices, and creating a collaborative platform for unified, multi-stakeholder action to improve sustainable energy access in situations of displacement.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in climate change, energy, environment or other closely related field.
- Minimum 10 years of previous relevant working experience in climate change, energy or environment, preferably with at least 5 years’ experience supporting sustainable energy cooperation in developing countries;
- Previous experience supporting energy access programming or research in LDCs or crisis contexts
- Previous working experience with the United Nations (UN) is an advantage;
- Language proficiency in both written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of any other UN language, particularly French and/or Arabic, is an asset.
Closing date for applications 29 February 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com