OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST – Chief Executive Office, Social and Human Sciences Sector Under the overall authority and direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for the Social and Human Science Sector (ADG/SHS), the incumbent will lead the Executive Office (EO) and supervise the provision of the integrated management services at Sector level, in cooperation with the relevant services, and provide strategic advice to the ADG/SHS in the strategic transformation process of the Organisation and in improving management of the Social and Human Sciences Sector.
In particular, the incumbent will:
• Provide comprehensive, strategic advice and decision-making support to ADG/SHS with regard to the management of the Sector’s Programme, budget, human resources, knowledge management and resource mobilization, ensuring follow-up of the ADG/SHS’s decisions; • Lead the Executive Office in the planning and distribution of assignments, establishing internal procedures ensuring improvement and monitoring, as well as evaluating staff performance, continuous training and development; • Provide strategic advice to the ADG/SHS in the strategic transformation process of the Organisation.
Supervision of programme planning, monitoring and evaluation:
• Supervise and ensure proper preparation of the Sector’s contribution to various documents and reports (Medium-Term Strategy (C/4), the Programme and Budget (C/5), the reports of the Director-General to the Governing Bodies (i.e. General Conference and Executive Board) on the activities of the Organisation and other relevant documents), and ensure appropriate oversight and coordination with Category 2 Centres, UNESCO Chairs and other partners; • Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the Sector’s Programme and Integrated Budget, General Conference resolutions and Executive Board decisions; lead and supervise the preparation of work plans to ensure quality reporting thereon in liaison with the Sector’s Programme Entities, other Sectors and the relevant services; and ensure coherence between sectoral and field programming, human resources and budget support for Field Offices; • Supervise the preparation and implementation of the Sector’s evaluation plan.
Financial and human resources administration:
• Provide strategic advice to the ADG/SHS and follow up on the management of the Sector’s human resources in collaboration with the SHS/AO Administrative Unit and HRM.
Oversee knowledge management services:
• Supervise the production and provision of the Sector’s information and documentation in all appropriate formats, as well as knowledge creation and diffusion/sharing activities for internal and external audiences.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS Education
• Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in social sciences or related areas.
• A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in designing, implementing and monitoring programmes, projects or policies in the field of Social and Human Sciences.
• Relevant experience acquired at the international level.
• Experience in advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
• Demonstrated experience in leading, managing and motivating staff and teams.
Skills and competencies
• Excellent knowledge of standard-setting instruments and programmes in the field of social and human sciences.
• Very good knowledge of the UN system.
• Knowledge of strategic planning and change management in an international organization.
• Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
• Demonstrated strategic planning, organizational and management abilities, including the capacity to administer programmes, financial resources and exercise appropriate supervision and control.
• Institutional leadership capacity and high sense of objectivity and integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
• Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners and to participate effectively in high-level negotiation.
• Excellent communication and representational skills.
• English and French are the working languages of the UNESCO Secretariat. For this post, excellent knowledge of either English or French and very good knowledge of the other working language is required.
Application Closing Date – 30 September 2019
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com