Deputy Head – UNESCO – Dakar, Senegal
Overview of the functions of the post
Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP and the direct supervision of the Head of Office, and within the framework of IIEP’s Medium-Term Strategy, the incumbent serves as deputy for the Head of Office in the strategic direction and management of the Office, including acting as interim during absences.
The incumbent will assist the Head of the IIEP Dakar Office in all matters pertaining to the Office direction; with a particular emphasis on:
- The identification of Africa region member states key needs and options in matters of education planning and management, in the context of the region’s specific demographic, environmental, socio-economic, political and security challenges and opportunities;
- The contribution of IIEP Dakar to the global IIEP strategic thinking and planning, as well as international presence and representation;
- The development of IIEP Dakar strategy and work plan within the overall IIEP Medium Term Strategy, including new lines of activities for all modalities of intervention (training, technical cooperation, research & development, and outreach & communication);
- The implementation of IIEP Dakar strategy and work plan, with a focus on results, quality, accountability and reporting;
- The management of the Office’s human resources, with the support of IIEP HR Office, including ways of work, professional development, coaching, and cross-team collaborations;
- The management of the Office’s financial resources, with the support of IIEP Administration, both in Paris and Dakar, including the establishment of a viable economic model for IIEP Dakar within the global IIEP, the restructuring of IIEP Dakar budget along core funding and project funding, and more globally the efforts towards a strategic and efficient use of resources;
- The development of strategic, financial and operational partnerships with Governments and other stakeholders and decision makers within National, Regional and International Organizations and Institutions.
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Education, Public Policy, Economics or Social Sciences or other related fields.
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant professional experience in public policy, either in direct public service at senior level, or in institutions dedicated to research, training, or capacity building, of which at least five(5) years acquired at the international level in regional or multilateral programs or institutions.
Skills and competencies
- Thorough knowledge of Sub-Saharan African institutional and Public Policy context.
- Strong management skills, including the capacity to mobilize and administer financial resources, build and manage human resources, and monitor programme implementation to deliver results.
- Flexibility and ability to address multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proven organizational skills, including in establishing priorities and plans as well as implementing them effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff and motivate teams in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, and to exercise supervision and control.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities.
- Strong sense of responsibility, ethics, tact and discretion; ability to work under pressure, respecting tight deadlines.
- Excellent/very good knowledge (written and spoken) of either French or English and basic working knowledge of the other language.
- PhD in Education, Public Policy, Economics or Social Sciences or other related fields.
- Experience in developing, implementing or evaluating policies/programs/projects at senior level in ministries of education;
- Experience in developing, implementing or evaluating policies/programs/projects at senior level in ministries of finance and budget, development and cooperation, health, social services or other related departments;
- Experience in international or national response to ongoing crisis in the Africa region, including response to humanitarian, security, or environmental crisis;
- Experience in international or national response to ongoing challenges and opportunities in the Africa region, including matters of employment, migration, urbanization or the environment.
Closing date for applications 29 February 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com