Ocean Science Communications Officer
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Regional Bureau for the Asia and Pacific, and the direct supervision of the Head of the WESTPAC Office, the incumbent shall perform the following duties:
- Keep abreast with ocean science development across the region, propose and research ideas for news and features.
- Research, write and edit compelling and easily understandable content about ocean science and the work of the Sub-Commission for websites, print publications (brochures, leaflets, posters), newsletters, social media and campaign activities etc.
- Write lively, engaging and scientifically accurate news articles and features about WESTPAC ocean scientists, programmes, ocean institutions and their research outputs/outcomes.
- Develop the WESTPAC e-newsletter which include writing, editing and proofreading articles, sourcing and formatting images, and overall responsibility for content, appearance and distribution.
- Copy-edit and proofread communication related materials from the Sub-Commission’s various networks, such as their reports and deliverables.
- Assist in developing engaging digital content such as infographics and video shorts for use on websites and social media channels to educate and drive interest in the Sub-Commission’s work.
- Organize the outreach and information events including hands-on, interactive science demonstrations.
- Establish relationships with the media, as well as ocean researchers and experts who will contribute to stories.
- Liaison with the UNESCO/IOC Communications Team and UNESCO Bangkok Public Information and Outreach Unit.
- Perform other functions as requested by the Head of the WESTPAC Office.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Advanced university degree in a scientific discipline or journalism. A degree in marine science, environmental science or science communications will be considered an advantage.
- At least five years of experience in science communications or journalism. Experience with international development, ocean science and knowledge of the region a plus.
- Excellent command of English with exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrable interest in science/science communication, and ability to grasp new areas of scientific research in a short time frame.
- Advanced knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Excel. IT skills with experience in video making, website content management and social media networks will be considered an advantage.
- Excellent attention to detail, proactive, diligent, willing to learn, dedicated and responsible.
- Highly organized, be able to work on several tasks simultaneously, be able to prioritize and to utilize efficient time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate and work in a team in a multicultural environment.
Closing date for applications 10 July 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com