Domain : Programme Coordination
Post Number : 6ZWSHS0001RP
Grade : P-4
Organizational Unit : FIELD OFFICES
Primary Location : ZW-Harare
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Salary : 103 427 USD
Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 19 October 2018
Overview Of The Functions Of The Post
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Social and Human Sciences (SHS) and the direct supervision of the Director of the Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the UNESCO Social and Human Science Programme for Southern Africa. He/she will ensure SHS’s contribution to the Africa Union 2063 Agenda, the UNESCO Regional Support Strategy and the UNESCO – SADC Joint Programme of Action at the regional level, and to the UNCTs programmatic work at national level, as reflected in UNDAFs and Delivering as One exercises in the countries covered by the Office.
- Manage, coordinate, implement and monitor SHS programmes, both at the regional and national levels, in the countries covered by the office, in line with AU and SADC frameworks, the UNESCO Medium Term Strategy and the approved programme and budget , the UNESCO Regional Support Strategy, the UNESCO Country Strategy Documents, the countries’ UNDAFs and other common UN strategic country instruments, particularly through capacity-building, policy advice, technical assistance, and networking of relevant stakeholders in the SHS Sector’s fields of competence.
- Provide strategic and operational advice to SADC and to Governments in close cooperation with the SHS Sector at Headquarters, National Commissions, as well as international and regional organizations, institutions and universities, in SHS thematic areas such as Youth and Sport, Inclusion and Rights, Intercultural Dialogue,Bioethics and Ethics of Science and Technology, Management of Social Transformations . Provide input, including data and statistics for the preparation of reports and briefings on the implementation of programmes and projects.
- Develop strategic partnerships and mobilize extra-budgetary ressources to reinforce the Regular Programme. Promote and strengthen partnerships and networking, as well as research and capacity-building, on SHS Sector thematic areas (as per the previous paragraph).
Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of social and human sciences, political science or a related discipline.
- Minimum 7 years of progressive relevant professional experience in the area of social and human sciences at national and international level.
- Proven experience in designing and implementing programmes and/or projects and demonstrated expertise in one of the following domains: management of social transformations, social inclusion, intercultural dialogue, bioethics and ethics of science and technology, youth and sport.
Skills And Competencies
- Good analytical, organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to provide high-level advice and technical support in public policy, planning and research.
- Capacity to build and maintain effective working relations with national/local authorities, relevant institutions, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Proven ability to communicate and negotiate effectively and persuasively (orally an in writing) with various stakeholders at all levels, within and outside the organization.
- Excellent knowledge of fund-raising and other resource mobilization mechanisms.
- Ability to manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
Excellent/ very good knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
Advanced university degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in social and human sciences or a related discipline.
- Experience in international cooperation programmes.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining professional networks.
- Research and analysis in the fields relevant to the post as demonstrated through authored peer-reviewed publications.
Skills And Competencies
- Good knowledge of UNESCO’s work in field locations, and familiarity with SHS Sector activities.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System.
- Good/fair knowledge of French.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and/or Spanish).