OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST – Team Leader – Training and Education Programmes
As the only specialized institute with the mandate to support educational policy, planning and management, the UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) plays a unique role within the United Nations system. IIEP was established in 1963 as an integral part of UNESCO. It supports Ministries of Education around the world and other key actors to plan and manage education systems through its programmes of training, technical assistance, policy research and knowledge sharing.
This position is located in the Training and Education Programme Team of the UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP). IIEP Paris offers training courses for education planners and managers to strengthen national capacities to analyse and formulate sound education policies and realistic education plans and to effectively manage education resources, including human and financial resources. The courses are practical, skills-based and flexible, varying in length and offered through face-to-face, online and blended modalities. The course offer is continuously updated to ensure that IIEP is responding to the needs of the UNESCO Members States and the Education 2030 Agenda. IIEP Paris also coordinates its offer with IIEP Pole de Dakar and Buenos Aires Offices.
For further information on our training programmes, please go to http://www.iiep.unesco.org/en/our-expertise/training
Under the authority and direct supervision of the Director of IIEP, and within the framework of IIEP’s Medium-Term Strategy, the incumbent will lead and coordinate the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of IEP’s training programmes. He/she will manage, advise and report on training programme funding, design, guidelines and delivery against goals. The incumbent will provide leadership and guidance to staff of the Training and Education Programme unit and more widely to IIEP staff involved in delivering training programmes.
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Identify and recommend a consistent strategic vision for the Institute’s training function as well as priorities for the continued development and delivery of IIEP’s training, based on consultation with IIEP partners (Members States, donors, external institutes, etc.).
- Manage the work of the Training and Education Programme unit and supervise a team of Professional and General Service staff working within that unit.
- Promote a coherent approach for IIEP’s core training offer across Paris teams and IIEP offices and coordinate the delivery and rollout of IIEP’s training programmes including monitoring of results, overall training quality and funding.
- Strengthen institute-wide instructional design and pedagogical standards and techniques and provide advice and assistance to program specialists undertaking delivery of training or educational programmes. These include e-learning systems and tools as well as distance education programmes and techniques.
- Design and conduct training needs assessments and evaluation of training programmes.
- Establish quality assurance mechanisms, including systems of recognition and certification.
- Offer advice on IIEP’s work to support training institutions in educational planning and participate in selected institutional support programs.
- Identify sources of donor funding for training programmes; explore and pursue alternative funding opportunities and mechanisms. Negotiate and secure funding for Training and Education Programme needs. Monitor overall levels of training programme cost recovery to ensure that funding targets are met.
- Communicate effectively to current and potential beneficiaries of IIEP’s core training offer.
Develop partnerships with:
Academic and training institutions that can contribute to the implementation of the strategic vision;
Member state beneficiaries and;
Donors and bodies are relevant to the recognition and quality assurance of training programmes.
Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent degree) in education, social sciences or related field.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in the field of training and education;
Relevant experience acquired at international level;
At least five (5) years of experience in conducting training at the post-graduate level in the field of educational development, educational policy analysis, or planning and management;
Recent experience in the design and administration of online education courses.
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrated leadership, management and organizational skills.
- Extended knowledge of the theory and practical application of the techniques used in education planning and social sciences.
- Experience with the evaluation of training programmes.
- Knowledge of new and emerging tools for professional training, particularly online.
- Good fundraising and resource mobilization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain partnerships and to ensure high-level coordination and cooperation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to lead, manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, persuasively and to provide intellectual leadership to guide team and staff.
English and French are the two working languages of the UNESCO Secretariat. For this post, excellent knowledge of English or French and working knowledge of the other is required.
Application Closing Date – 26 September 2019