Media Specialist – UNFPA – New York
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Develops, leads and executes global communications /public relations strategies and high-visibility campaigns to promote and protect the UNFPA brand and mandate. A key objective will be to raise the visibility and awareness of the UNFPA brand and its work in key thematic areas, such as family planning, maternal health, and gender-based violence.
- Protects UNFPA’s reputation by proactively and reactively handling any attacks on UNFPA’s mandate and reputation.
- Develops clear, concise and pithy messages for use by the UNFPA Executive Director and senior staff to support their interactions with media and for use at high-profile events.
- Advises UNFPA communications officers around the world on their communications outreach.
- Maintains personal relationships with key journalists and pitches stories to them
- Drafts or edits talking points for UNFPA spokespeople, press releases, op-eds, and media advisories to promote UNFPA’s major messages, issues and work.
- Develops creative and innovative ways to promote UNFPA’s work and mandate to audiences not yet familiar with UNFPA’s work. This could include driving partnerships with non-traditional partners, influencers, and Goodwill Ambassadors.
- Drives relationships and oversees the work of communications vendors such as marketing and PR agencies and ensures proper administrative procedures are followed with regard to engagement of vendors.
- Represents DCS in interdivisional and Fund-wide working groups defining strategies for advocacy, information management and dissemination. Represents UNFPA in meetings of UN Communications Group and other UN system partners and NGOs, as requested.
- Carries out any other duties assigned by the Chief of MCB.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree required: Social Sciences, Public Relations or related field, Communications, Journalism and Advertising or Marketing.
Knowledge and Experience
- 7 years of experience at national and international level.
- Proven ability to develop and execute effective communications strategies and campaigns to promote an organization, such as UNFPA, and its work;
- Proven track record in generating substantial media coverage and managing high-visibility campaigns or projects. Strong skills in pitching stories to media, social media and other influencers.
- Proven ability to handle media crises and drive brand and reputation-protection efforts.
- Superior writing skills in English.
- Knowledge of content creation and digital marketing, of public relations tools and techniques.
- Experience in direct advertising/marketing, public relations, public information, and digital marketing experience would be a clear advantage.
- Knowledge of social media best practices, content creation and marketing, and basic monitoring skills.
- Experience dealing with issues such as gender equality, family planning, maternal health, gender based violence
- Experience living or working internationally or working with diverse international teams
- Strong project management skills.
- Self-starter, proactive, passion for the issues. Team leader and team builder.
- Fluency in English required, and knowledge of French or other official UN languages is an asset.
Closing date for applications 20 March 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com