Strategic Communications & Advocacy Analyst – UNFPA
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
The Strategic Communication and Advocacy Analyst provides high-level professional communications and advocacy support services, including support to SBCC and C4D initiatives, to the Country Office (CO). You will contribute your expertise to facilitate effective delivery of UNFPA country programme, which aims to realize the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in order to make a positive difference in lives of millions of people. Participating in inter-agency coordination, you will foster a collaborative, client-oriented approach towards the UNFPA CO team, UNFPA Implementing Partners and UN community, as well as other development partners, supporting effective communication and cooperation with Regional Office (RO) and Headquarters (HQ).
You would be responsible for:
Specifically, the Strategic Communications and Advocacy Analyst:
- Oversees effective communications of the UNFPA Country Office, including managing the Communications Team.
- Develop, formulate and facilitate the implementation of the C4D strategy and plan of action for advocacy and social and behavioural change ensuring effective programme delivery.
- Develop innovative ways of communicating for impact and for social and behavioural change (SBCC), focusing on cutting-edge digital multimedia and print materials.
- Supports UNFPA in preparing, producing and distributing communications materials and products:Supports the preparation of the country office annual report process.
- Develops and maintains a set of briefing notes/fact sheets on UNFPA and the UNFPA programme in Sri Lanka; uses information collected through programme monitoring and reporting and inputs from programme staff; ensures regular updates.
- Identifies and develops human-interest stories, and disseminated through different channels including photo-stories, documentaries on UNFPA interventions, etc.
- With input from relevant staff in the office, prepares talking points and speeches for the Representative.
- With input from relevant staff in the office, prepares press releases for issue by the country office to national media.
- Reviews and edits communication materials prepared by other staff to ensure high quality from a communications point of view, e.g. fundraising proposals, donor reports, fact sheets and knowledge assets.
- Oversees production/printing of communications materials and publications (print or electronic/digital); oversees qualitative aspects of production, e.g. translation, layouts and graphic design.
- Manages and maintain the country office website and the UNFPA page on the UNCT website; gathers, prepares, edits, presents and updates online contents; maintains emails group for alerting audiences of contents update; liaises with multimedia/web team in UNFPA headquarter to ensure compliance with UNFPA policies for web site structure, format, content, updates and usage.
- Acts as focal point for media and communications in the country office:Represents UNFPA in, and actively contributes to, the UN Communication Group.
- Serves as focal point vis-à-vis UNFPA media units’ in regional and HQ level.
- Develops and maintains close collaboration with national media and other relevant organizations and groups including communications focal points of implementing partners.
- Monitors and documents media coverage of UNFPA and UNFPA related issues in the national print and electronic media and brings to the attention of UNFPA management and relevant colleagues; maintains a repository of media pieces; prepares quarterly/annual reports to UNFPA management.
- Manages and coordinates planning and implementation of key UNFPA advocacy events:Serves as the main event planner and organizer in the country office of UNFPA advocacy events such as launch of the State of the World Population Report and World Population Day, donor meetings, visits from UNFPA Regional Office and HQ, and other key events or visits.
- Working closely with UNFPA management and relevant staff, prepares detailed events plans and checklist to ensure well-coordinated and successful implementation.
- Provides support to/handles logistic and administrative arrangements.
- Ensures preparation and/or packaging of necessary background and promotional materials.
- Works closely with programme officers and other relevant staff, supports branding, advocacy and communication efforts under UNFPA annual work plans:Ensures branding of UNFPA support to partners (posters, plaques).
- Ensures publications, other documents and UNFPA annual work plans are appropriately branded, edited for quality, and UNFPA copyright is ensured; prepares summaries of UNFPA reports and publications that communicate the contents to non-technical people/general public for use in dissemination and advocacy.
- Helps with identification and dissemination of knowledge asset and best practices in the UNFPA programme; supports programme staff in development of them.
- Oversees and manages country office documentation repository:Develop and manage the UNFPA country office library (electronic and physical) on a regular basis; screens incoming publications for the library and ensures circulation among relevant staff; ensures periodic review and disposal.
- Oversees distribution of publications, materials and visibility items, including from UNFPA headquarters and regional office; maintains distribution lists and ensures approval by UNFPA management.
- Maintains a physical/electronic repository for UNFPA-supported publications and other materials produced under the UNFPA programme, e.g. research reports, training manuals and IEC materials.
- Maintains documentation centre for press releases and clippings relevant to UNFPA, as well as photographic and audio-visual materials; develops and maintains a photo database.
- Perform any other duties as required by the UNFPA Representative.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in communication, public relations, marketing, social and behavioural science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, public health, education, development studies, or other related discipline.
- In exceptional circumstances, a relevant Bachelor’s degree with extra 2 years of relevant experience may be considered, in-lieu of the Master’s degree.
Experience and other requirements
- Minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience, preferably in communication, prints and broadcast media with a focus on development, health or gender promotion, or public advocacy, after completion of master’s degree, in an international and/or large organization.
- Familiarity with UN procedures and working methods, particularly with UNFPA’s policies and procedures is desirable.
- Familiarity with the Programme of Action of the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) and thematic areas of UNFPA’s mandate is an asset.
- Experience in social media is highly desirable.
- Full proficiency in English, including excellent writing and communication skills, with working knowledge of Sinhala and/or Tamil.
- Proficiency in current office software applications including Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Familiarity with design software, such as Adobe Creative Cloud, is an asset
Closing date for applications 30 April 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com