Associate Resettlement Officer – UNHCR
Interested in the JPO programme for US Nationals? Chat to UNHCR Recruiters on 13 December.
- Resettlement delivery in the country is needs-based, non-discriminatory and prioritized for refugees most in need of this solution.
- UNHCR’s resettlement policies and standards are correctly and coherently applied.
- Persons of concern are made aware of UNHCR’s resettlement procedures and have fair and transparent access to and participation in the resettlement process.
- Fraud in the resettlement process is promptly identified and addressed.
- Resettlement targets are met.
- Interview vulnerable refugees identified by internal and external partners, undertake necessary action to finalise the resettlement assessment.
- Review resettlement referrals by internal and external actors and resettlement assessments by Resettlement Assistants;
- Complete Resettlement Referral Forms (RRFs) to meet agreed targets in Nairobi; review RRFs from other caseworkers as required;
- Conduct resettlement related counselling for refugees and participate in outreach activities in coordination with colleagues from other protection units;
- Liaise with other functional units within UNHCR and partner agencies to ensure necessary action is taken / assessments made to finalise documentation on resettlement submissions;
- Draft BIAs for resettlement processing:
- Conduct support missions to the camps in Dadaab and Kakuma, in order to assist the colleagues in the field to meet their respective targets. Conduct resettlement interviews, counselling, prepare RRFs and perform any other task as requested by the Heads of Units.
- Stay abreast of political, legal, social and economic developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Assist in implementing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for promoting the resettlement of persons of concern as protection tool and durable solution in the context of comprehensive solution strategies.
- Assist in the development of country resettlement strategy and annual resettlement planning exercise.
- Assist in promoting and monitoring the implementation of UNHCR’s global resettlement policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Maintain regular contact and close cooperation with resettlement countries and partners to ensure effective resettlement delivery and adherence to adequate protection and resettlement standards.
- Participate, where appropriate, in country-level discussions with resettlement countries and partners.
- Assist in managing a process to ensure that persons of concern and partners receive up-to-date and accurate information on UNHCR’s resettlement policies and procedures.
- Assist in the submission of up-to-date and accurate statistics, resettlement reports and needs assessments are submitted to management as required.
- Identify and recommend relevant training activities of UNHCR staff and implementing partners.
- Contribute to a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR’s operations from external partners.
- Decide and prioritize resettlement interviews of persons of concern.
- Represent UNHCR’s resettlement positions.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, resettlement standard operating procedures.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience Required
- Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) in Law, International Law, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field. Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted. The degree must have been obtained in an accredited institution listed under www.whed.net.
- With a Master’s degree, minimum 2 years of professional work experience relevant to the function (3 with a BA and 1 with a PhD).
- Coaching and stake-holders management; very good drafting skills.
- Please indicate languages required (Official UN Languages: English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Arabic)
- Working knowledge of another UN language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Experience with immigration laws and representation of asylum-seekers.
- Knowledge of UNHCR protection standards and RSD.