Grade: Mid (P3) and Senior (P4) Level Positions
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. It is constantly seeking talented, compassionate candidates with high-integrity to strengthen its capacity to respond urgently to crises with the right skills. Given the nature of UNHCR’s work, it is essential that its workforce has the right mix of skills and qualities to fulfil its mandate.
The Project Control Officer provides support to the operation by ensuring sound financial management in tandem with operational performance, and providing oversight of projects funded by UNHCR in complementary with programme management. The main tasks of the incumbent include the formulation of a project monitoring plan, conducting monitoring, quality assurance, review of project agreements, and verification of reports, tracking project risks, effective project closure and managing audit. Project Control Officer closely collaborates with UNHCR colleagues and diverse partners and plays a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships. As a result, incumbent needs to be very mindful of all dimensions of teamwork and partnerships in their interaction with other persons (and uphold the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
- Contribute to the development of the Country Operations Plans and strategy with respect to project control within the country /region.
- Ensure that project control strategies in the country/region are in line with Global Strategic Priorities, as well as with annual programming and planning instructions.
- Support the selection and retention processes of partners for undertaking UNHCR-funded projects in accordance with UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Review that project agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Formulate and implement a project monitoring plan in collaboration with the programme unit and Multi-functional teams.
- Track the management of project risks in collaboration with the programme unit, and report major risks to senior management.
- Review, analyse and verify Project Financial and Performance reports submitted by Partner, and check accuracy and consistency between financial expenditures, and performance, in accordance with project agreements.
- Monitor, track and verify that expenditure for direct implementation by UNHCR is in line with the approved budget.
- Conduct reviews of the internal control systems maintained by partners for effective resource management and provide advice as required.
- Provide feedback and recommendations of identified variants, risks and issues to the partner, programme unit and escalate to management as required.
- Prepare project control reports with the current status of programme implementation and financial status.
- Inform management of cases where UNHCR may not adhere to its obligations under project agreements.
- Manage project audit process including liaison with auditors, coordination with partners, obtaining audit reports, reviewing outcomes and following-up with recommendations.
- Carry out timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Participate in country-level programme training for i partners and UNHCR staff as necessary, as well as brief staff and implementing partners on project control and risk management.
- Provide input to the mid- and end-year programme review process on issues related to project control and risk management.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Undertake missions within the geographical area of responsibility, as approved by the supervisor.
- Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience Required:
For positions at the P3 level
Education: Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration in Finance, Project Management, External Audit, Risk Management OR degree in similar field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CA, DESG or equivalent), project management accreditation.
- Good understanding of the workflows of major Enterprise Resource Planning financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, SAP or Oracle).
- Good analytical and communication skills
Job experience: Minimum 5 years of relevant (international) job experience with graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s), 6 years with undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS); at least 2 years in an intergovernmental organization.
Languages: Proficiency in English is required.
For positions at the P4 level
Education: Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration in Finance, External Audit or related field OR degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or accreditation in finance (CPA/CA or equivalent), project management, fraud risk examiner.
Job experience: Minimum 8 years of relevant (international) job experience with graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s), 9 years with undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS); at least 5 years in an intergovernmental organization.
Languages: Proficiency in English and knowledge of a second UN language (Arabic/ Chinese/French/Russian/Spanish) at B21 is required.