Please note this is only a profile and not a live Vacancy. If you are interested in this role, chat to UNOPS recruiters at the upcoming Global Careers For Women event on 10 October
Background Information – IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
Under the Head of IPAS Finance supervision, the incumbent will work closely with Operations Centres and field offices, primarily to provide everyday support and solutions to corporate implementation initiatives. The incumbent will keep a balance between operational implementation efficiencies and policy/rules requirements, and also contribute towards long-term solutions by channelling practical recommendations through the Practice Advisor for improvements in policies and processes for efficient project implementation.
Summary of functions:
- Banking and cash management
- Project Accounting
- Knowledge management and innovation
1. Banking and cash management
- Take lead role in banking-related accounting processes and transactions.
- Preparation of bank reconciliations against Cash book and General Ledger for HQ managed bank accounts.
- Provide clear guidance and support on the eld bank accounts reconciliations. Respond to queries received from UNOPS field offices on nance/banking issues.
2. Project Accounting
- Analyze and reconcile the General ledger accounts and adjust the accounting entries accordingly.
- Review of supporting documents for vouchers and receipts, ensuring completeness of supporting documentation, accuracy and compliance with IPSAS.
- Review and confirms adjustments to the project expenditures as may be required.
- Review and confirm appropriateness of operational transactions processed as per applicable policies, regulations, rules and interpretive guidelines.
- Prepare and analyze ad hoc nance reports, investigates and prepares adjustments as required.
- Prepare recurring, ad hoc or special reports as required.
- Support to the preparation of monthly schedules, quarterly and year-end treasury statement.
- Assist Field Oces with Financial reporting and analysis.
- Resolve Financial Reporting system issues with Finance Group.
- Provide reports as needed for year-end closure activities.
- Assist with audits and self-audits and quality assurance activities as required.
- Assist in the preparation of ad-hoc reports as requested by internal/external auditors.
- Support the implementation of audit recommendations as may be required.
5. Knowledge management and innovation
- Contribute to the development of internal capacity across the organization in terms of project nance.
- Organize training events and design/set training agenda to build capacity of stakeholders on project nance. Determine and make available sufficient and expert resources for training events.
Impact of results:
The responsible and transparent financial analysis and reporting of financial resources to governing bodies, clients, partners and stakeholders enhance the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and consequently strengthen its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country served.
- Advanced University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related discipline is required.
- A combination of a Bachelor’s degree in Finance or related eld plus additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master/Advanced degree.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant progressively responsible job-related experience in nance or accounting is required at the national or international level (if in possession of advanced university degree).
- Some experience in UN organization an asset.
- Full working knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of another UN language such as Spanish or French is desirable.