Background Information – Myanmar
Myanmar is one of UNOPS leading offices in Asia, acting as fund manager for three of the largest development programmes in the country, namely the Access to Health Fund, the Livelihood and Food Security Fund (LIFT) and the Joint Peace Fund (JPF). In addition, UNOPS Myanmar is Principal Recipient for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Myanmar and Cambodia, and for the Global Fund¹s Regional Artemisinin-resistance Initiative targeting drug resistant malaria in the Greater Mekong sub-region. UNOPS provides procurement, infrastructure and project management services to a wide range of organizations in the country, including the Government of Myanmar, international development partners, other UN agencies, NGOs and INGOs. UNOPS Myanmar plays a critical role in ensuring that the quality of services provided to its partners meets stringent requirements of speed, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS Myanmar Operation Centre (MMOC) counts with specific communications teams dedicated to the different funds/programmes and this position will concentrate on the Director’s office and some projects’ needs while ensuring the required coordination and collaboration with other colleagues.
The position is under the direct supervision of the Head of Programme & Partnerships and works in close collaboration with project teams in procurement, infrastructure and project management services. He/she works in accordance with UNOPS policies, procedures and practices.
- Review and follow actions required under MMOC Stakeholder engagement and Communications strategy;
- Produce information materials to strengthen awareness of the work of UNOPS in Myanmar;
- Track, research and analyze information on assigned topics/issues; gather information from diverse sources and help to assess news value and/or potential impact;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of information campaigns
- Draft/compile a specific type or types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.) of information communications products for target audiences including press releases, media packets and reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, website, etc.;
- Organize the production and distribution of MMOC projects/programmes related information material;
- Support communications plan activities under each project for greater visibility, ensuring adequate tools and innovative approaches are used;
- In consultation with the supervisor and other relevant parties, identify and propose information opportunities, activities and approaches, taking into account the situation/topic and target audience;
- Identify key contacts/constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships and maintain working relationships with the same;
- Organize or participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, press briefing, interviews, etc.; prepare briefing materials for senior officials prior to their participation in such events; respond to a variety of inquiries and information requests internally and externally; prepare related correspondence;
- Ensure effective and efficient functioning of MMOC communications activities in full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made;
- Coordinate and participate in MMOC communications group;
- Supervise other communications colleagues setting up work plans and supporting growth, through delegation exposure or coaching;
- Follow up on deadline, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports, presentations/etc. to supervisor and management;
- Draft routine correspondence, interoffice circulars, general briefing notes, documents, reports, and minutes of meetings when requested;
- Prepare spreadsheets, database files, presentation slides/power points, and tables ensuring appropriate style and accuracy if information;
- Prepare high quality briefing materials for appointments, meetings, missions, etc.
- Master degree in communication, media studies, journalism, or related field is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree with additional two years of similar experience is considered as equivalent.
b. Work experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience in development and implementation of communications strategies, external relations and/or other communication roles is required.
- Experience in a development country is required.
- Experience in South-East Asia would be an asset.
- Proven ability to write excellent reports and briefs is highly preferred.
- Excellent presentation skills would be an asset.
c. Language Requirement
Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
Application closing date: 24 July 2019