Application closing date: 22 January 2019
Background Information – Job-specific
Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) is a global partnership of over 200 national governments, donors, civil society organizations, the private sector and other development partners working together to increase political will and strengthen resource allocations for water supply and sanitation. Strengthening resource allocations will require improved mobilization and better targeting of resources by both donors and national governments. The goal of SWA is sanitation and water for all.
The Secretariat of the SWA global partnership is hosted by UNICEF at its Headquarters in New York. The SWA Secretariat is responsible for supporting the Steering Committee, Global Leaders Council Chair, promoting the country-level engagement of partners, and organizing global High-level Meetings – including the upcoming 2019 Sector Ministers’ Meeting in Costa Rica – and for guiding the related country-level preparatory and follow up processes.
SWA’s visibility online, brand recognition and inbound traffic have helped improve brand loyalty, recognition and authority and helped search engine rankings. In addition, the interaction SWA has with its audiences on all digital platforms, including social media, increases their personal experience and adds to SWA’s relevance among its audiences.
The objectives of the consultancy include:
- Strengthening SWA’s corporate digital presence on all relevant channels and in digital communities;
- Increasing the impact of SWA’s events and initiatives
- Strengthening SWA’s digital brand
- Making complex and technical water, sanitation and hygiene-related messages understood by the public at large
The incumbent’s activities are:
1) Web management
- Adapt technical knowledge and information to relevant audiences;
- Provide strategic and analytical advice for web development;
- Liaise with other consultants as needed for translations, graphics, editing and web development;
- Manage SWA’s website and keep content up-to-date;
- Plan newsflow and editorial calendar;
- Monitor SWA partners websites for news, events, new publications, etc and suggest items for SW website and ‘regular eBulletins;
- Disseminating SWA’s messages and products on relevant channels;
- Undertake competitive intelligence;
- Edit photos and videos as needed;
- Optimize SEO with relevant consultants;
- Follow statistics via analytics tool;
- Keep abreast of new developments related to web tools and suggest improvements/upgrade as necessary.
2) Providing strategic advice and implementing digital outreach around events and campaigns (e.g. World Water Day, World Toilet Day, Water Action Decade, SWA’s Sector and Finance Ministers’ Meetings)
- Provide strategic insights and creative digital campaign solutions in the PR/campaign mix;
- Increasing and ensuring the relevance of events/campaigns among followers;
- Answer public queries
3) Social media management
- Develop and carry out a corporate social media strategy that reflects the overall SWA Communications Strategy 2018-2020;
- Take responsibility for content and development in social media, mainly Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and YouTube
- Schedule and post all programmed content for the different channels, including relevant graphics and images based on the global agenda and issues relevant to SWA;
- Monitoring online thematic and technical discussions in networks and communities – moderate discussions as necessary ;
- Work with the consultant for artworks adapted for corporate and campaign-related social media use;
- Identify/ build relationships with key bloggers/ influencers in order to establish them as brand voices/ambassadors
- Creating and maintaining a dialogue with followers, including current and potential SWA donors, in SWA’s digital communities
- Carry out special engagement activities with partners, such as during international events;
4) Events support
- Support SWA’s presence at relevant international events
- A university master’s degree in communications, journalism, development studies, international relations or related fields is required.
- A bachelor’s degree in any of the subject fields combined with two additional years of relevant experience will be accepted in lieu of the master’s degree.
- With master’s degree a minimum of five (5) years or with bachelor’s degree a minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of communications with at least 3 of those dedicated to digital communications.
- Previous experience in the water, sanitation and hygiene sector and/or SWA is a clear advantage.
- Proficiency in oral and written English and French is required. Knowledge of other UN languages is desirable. (Other UN languages are Arabic, Chinese Mandarin, Spanish, and Russian).