Interested in this role? Chat to UNOPS Recruiters at the upcoming Global Careers For Women event on 10 October 2019.
Background Information – Afghanistan – Electrical Engineer
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan through the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country. Functional Responsibilities
1. General Background
The Project for Development of Water Supply Facilities in Dehsabz South Area – Parcel 2.2 (JICA V), funded by the Government of Japan (GoJ) through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) involves the design review, construction and installation of water supply facilities which are intended to support the planned new Kabul City. The water supply facilities include the following specific project scope components for design review, procurement of construction works, construction supervision, financial management and reporting. Planned construction works outputs include the construction and installation of boreholes (testing and production wells), water pumping station, water transmission main, water pressure regulating reservoir and principle water distribution main system.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Project Manager (PM), and in close coordination with the Water Supply Engineer, Mechanical Engineer and other project staff, the Electrical Engineer will provide electrical engineering expertise to the project by contributing to ensure the electrical systems are designed and constructed in accordance with local and international policies, guidelines, standards and specifications applicable, for the new water supply facilities to be constructed under the project.
The Electrical Engineer will carry out electrical designs and supervise construction work in accordance with industry acceptable and applicable energy efficiency principles, policies and standards. Specific responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Determine, review and establish the local and international policies, standards and specifications required for electrical engineering work related to water supply facilities in Afghanistan.
- Carry out inspections of the water supply facilities to be constructed, assess the current situation with the electrical systems, and design suitable upgrades/replacement of existing electrical systems to meet the local and international standards and specifications applicable, and in consultation with all stakeholders.
- Prepare and/or review detailed electrical engineering design documentation including drawings, specifications and scope of work reports to be included in water supply facilities construction tender documents.
- Prepare quality control and quality assurance documentation related to electrical engineering work for new water supply facilities.
- Assist the Water Supply Engineer and the Project Manager in the preparation of bidding documents for the new water supply facilities.
- Supervise on-site work carried out by contractors closely on a day to day basis to ensure quality of the work is monitored and controlled as per specification requirements.
- Prepare and submit professionally prepared periodic progress reports to the Project Manager at intervals agreed upon.
- Ensure safety and health of everyone involved in the project and general public by identifying risks and threats, planning, implementing and maintaining internationally acceptable safety standards in all aspects, at all stages of the project.
- Ensure all design and construction of electrical work is carried out in accordance with and in compliance with industry standards and international best practice energy efficiency principles, standards, guidelines and specification.
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of various project reports where necessary.
- Provide expert advice to all stakeholders including contractors, Project Manager, project staff, clients and donor agencies on electrical engineering related work where required.
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned.
3. Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent professional qualification. Professional Certificate in a relevant field and/or a Master’s Degree will be an advantage;
B. Work Experience
At least 4 years’ experience in design and construction of electrical systems related to water supply facilities and/or building construction. Ability to produce electrical drawings and design documentation using AutoCAD or similar software. Proficient in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and experience in handling web-based management systems. Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations preferred.
Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari is required.
D. Key Competencies
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and new work assignments.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate with various support service units, work on tight deadlines, and handle multiple concurrent activities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentational), including ability to present sensitive issues/positions and to write reports and technical decisions quantitatively justified.
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment.
- Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge.
- Ability to build and promote effective teams and enable competence by sharing knowledge.
- Ability to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Application Closing Date – 27 September 2019
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com