Application closing date: 19 December 2018
Background Information – Job-specific
The Local Fund Agent (LFA) is a crucial part of the system of oversight and risk management of the Global Fund to Fight Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria (the Global Fund). Its principal role is to provide informed and independent professional advice about the capacity of Principal Recipients (PR) to manage the implementation of activities funded under grants (including a PR’s capacity to oversee implementation of activities by Sub-recipients), to make recommendations concerning periodic disbursement of grant funds, to review grant performance when a grant is being considered for renewal, and to provide the Global Fund Secretariat on an ongoing basis with relevant information on issues or risks which might affect grant performance.
The LFA is expected to have an up-to-date and comprehensive understanding of the diseases (HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis), how they are prevented, transmitted and treated and their impact on the country. The LFA assesses the PR’s institutional and health/programmatic capacities and arrangements to ensure adequate health expertise (HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis) in the implementation of the Global Fund grants. The LFA also determines whether the PR has adequate infrastructure and information systems to support grant implementation, including the monitoring of the performance of Sub-recipients and outsourced entities in a timely and accountable manner.
Under the direct supervision of the UNOPS LFA Team Leader in Azerbaijan, the Financial Management & Systems Specialist will be based in Baku, Azerbaijan, and be responsible for the financial coordination of the Azerbaijan LFA Team and for helping ensure that all LFA work is of high quality and completed within the timeframe set by the Global Fund.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall supervision of LFA Team Leader (TL), the incumbent is required to perform the function of financial management specialist for the UNOPS LFA activities in Azerbaijan by carrying out the following activities:
• Review Disbursement Request/Financial Progress Updates and complete the LFA Progress Review and Recommendation for Ongoing Disbursement forms;
• Timely and relevant review and comments to the Global Fund on the PR’s completed Enhanced Financial Reporting format;
• Review various documents submitted by Principal Recipient and provide independent opinion/analysis of financial adequacy for Global Fund grants including budgets, their revisions, Concept Notes, etc;
• Follow data verification procedures and formats, conduct field visits and using the format given by the Global Fund, provide independent opinion and analysis on the financial management by the PR;
• To conduct any other analysis requested by the LFA Team Leader from time to time;
• Identify financial weaknesses and make recommendations with timeframes for necessary follow up by the PR;
• Discuss with the Country Team Leader any other institutional and financial aspects to be reviewed and take action;
• Prepare mission reports on the format required by the Global Fund and submit it to the Country TL;
• Mission travel may be required to support LFA team as and when needed;
• Other activities as per The LFA Manual and/or as assigned;
• Attend field visits with/ without the finance team members and debrief the SRs/SSRs on the filed visit outcomes.
• Suggest remedial measures on the potential weaknesses of the SR Management in the optimum utilization of Global Fund grant money and safeguarding the grants against any fraud;
• Red-flagging for the Global Fund of any potential risk of misuse of the Global Fund Grants.
• Perform other related duties as required. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Impact of Results:
- Reports submitted by the LFA will comply with the deadlines and timescales agreed upon;
- Ad hoc queries by Global Fund are promptly responded to;
- LFA clearly demonstrates an understanding of the terms of reference for each activity and Global Fund requirements;
- Appropriate reporting template and tools are used by LFA;
- Analysis of data presented in LFA reports is of high quality;
- The conclusions reached in LFA reports are supported by accurate evidence gathered;
- LFA is pro-active in identifying and flagging to the Global Fund Fund Portfolio Manager any major risks to effective management of program implementation and funds;
- LFA provides innovative analysis, information, advice, and suggestions for enhancing the quality of the Global Fund’s decisions, work processes, templates, tools etc.
With master’s degree Five (5) years relevant experience in financial management, audit and/or accounting is required. Or a bachelor’s degree combined with two additional years of relevant working experience may be accepted in lieu of the master’s degree.