Application closing date: 23 September 2018
In the Republic of Panama, UNOPS is developing some important projects for the National Government. The projects developed by UNOPS require the selected professional to develop their knowledge of geotechnical engineering, follow the protocols of review, supervision, inspection, and document assigned activities, be proactive, work in teams and manage their work packages with transparency, efficiency and efficiency.
The Geotechnical Engineer will support the Works Inspection Coordinator in aspects related to technical planning, development of infrastructure projects, review and verification of results concerning topographic surveys, soil studies carried out, geotechnical studies generated, analysis of situation to identified geotechnical risks, analysis of technical documentation and / or studies related to the assurance of the quality of the projects that are executed in the Project Center in UNOPS Panama. It is expected that he / she will contribute to reach and surpass the performance of the organization and its service objectives.
Under the direct supervision of the Works Inspector Coordinator or whoever he designates. The Geotechnical Engineer will carry out the following activities:
- It will carry out specific inspections in works to evaluate geotechnical conditions on site, in order to ensure that the works are carried out in accordance with the Contract Documents of the corresponding projects.
- Participate in the definition of geotechnical laboratory tests, in addition to “in situ” supervision, qualitative and quantitative verification of geotechnical tests and field, geotechnical and topographic research campaigns.
- Perform the review of reports or geotechnical studies, construction plans and related documentation in order to verify that they comply with Panamanian regulations and related international codes. In addition to performing geotechnical checks such as loading capacity, analysis of settlements, stability of slopes and excavations, deep foundations, among others.
- Perform the review of calculations related to soil / geotechnical studies, carried out before or during the execution of a work, to determine its compliance with the standards of the 2014 REP and international codes. Perform calculations when required.
- Perform visual inspections or evaluations of existing structures, technical review of plans as constructed, geotechnical calculations for designs and preparation of technical reports, when required.
- Maintain coordination with the Supervision of the works assigned in general, Resident professionals of the contractors, with their specialists and their field staff.
- Review and validation of work methods and project procedures.
- Maintain active communication with the institutional managers of Works.
- Prepare Reports according to the requests made by the Coordinator of Site Inspectors, which include recommendations and any other aspect necessary for compliance with UNOPS obligations.
- Actively participate in the internal coordination meetings, with the entity and with the Contractors companies and the missions and trips that UNOPS establishes for the best fulfillment of the assigned functions.
To access the full list of roles and responsibilities, please download the Terms of Reference attached to the announcement.
- University degree in Master in Geotechnical Engineering.
- University degree in Bachelor of Civil Engineering will be accepted in the absence of the master’s degree.
- They are required between 2 and 4 years (depending on the academic credentials provided) of progressive work experience in Geotechnics.
- Experience in transportation projects (roads and bridges) will be a plus.
- Experience in building projects will be a plus.
- Spanish Language Proficiency (required
- Intermediate knowledge of the English language. (desirable)
Contract type, level and duration
Type of Contract: LICA Independent Contractor Agreement
Level of Contract: LICA 9
Duration of Contract: 12 months with possibilities of extension according to performance and availability of funds.