Application closing date: 21 September 2018
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
The Hybrid Cloud Engineer will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV), provides specific expertise in the implementation and operation of the UN Hybrid Cloud strategy for the back end infrastructure including: storage arrays, SAN switches, processing cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the hybrid environment.
The Hybrid Cloud Engineer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Function as the technical expert in cloud services, storage systems implementation, systems upgrade and systems integration.
- Function as technical resource for Hybrid Cloud implementation, particularly in the area of cloud storage as per organization’s strategy. Analyze requests for new resources and provide advice to higher management.
- Monitor Storage Systems operations and verify systems availability. Interact with network engineers and systems engineers to proactively facilitate integration of storage array systems into enterprise ICT infrastructure.
- Perform tasks related to storage provisioning and host integration following organization’s Hybrid Cloud strategy.
- Function as 2nd tier support for analyzing, troubleshooting and implementing solutions related to cloud services, storage technical problems.
- Function as a technical resource in cloud services, storage system support for services continuity solution implementation and provide efficient data recovery capability in case of disaster.
- Perform technical evaluation of product and systems related to cloud services, storage infrastructure and continuity solutions.
- Actively involve with third parties engaged in cloud services, storage infrastructure projects to ensure acceptable quality of service delivery and, prevent information security incidents.
- Perform the functions of systems backup and recovery administrator, and data replication process owner.
- Propose efficient, resilient and reliable data replication solution from UN Missions to UNGSC.
- Propose a highly available storage and backup environment to eliminate single points of failure.
- Implement data storage management guidelines, policies, standards, procedures and other documentations for DPKO and DFS field missions.
- Responsible for keeping track of existing storage usage and making recommendation for optimization and efficiencies.
- Support regular maintenance of operational resilience (OR) plans and conduct periodic exercises to verify OR readiness.
- Provide necessary training and support missions in storage management, backup and restore operation, as required.
- Define technical specifications and assist with capacity planning and budget estimates for cloud services and storage equipment.
- Perform tasks associated with DPKO and United Nations operations as authorized.
- Supervise Hybrid Cloud technicians and assess their performance on a regular basis.
- Build capacity through on-the-job training or formal training.
- Ensure all procedures in handling storage and backup tasks are documented by staff.
- Assign duty officer, focal points in various DRX and projects, and backstops.
- Perform other duties as required.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and those of UNOPS
Impact of Results
The result of work of the Hybrid Cloud Engineer impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DFS/DPKO field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or relevant field. A first level University degree in a relevant field with two additional years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Foundation certification in ITIL Service management is required.
- Foundation Certification in Projects in Controlled Environments (PRINCE2) is desired.
- EMC storage management related certifications and trainings are desired.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in providing engineering support for IT systems, preferably in large data centres with experience in Operating systems Windows 2008/2012 and Linux.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a process-oriented service support and delivery environment.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing technical teams of at least 10 team members.
- Desirable experience in enterprise storage infrastructure (EMC VNX, Unity, XtremIO, Isilon, HP 3Par Storage or similar) and layered software that supports high availability, data safety, as well as storage manipulations (EMC Recover Point, Snap view, SRDF, SAN Copy, among other).
- Desirable experience with backup and recovery solutions (based on EMC NetWorker, EMC Avamar, Netbackup or similar) and data replication architecture and products.
- Desirable at least 5 years’ experience in managing large scale hybrid cloud in enterprise environment.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff