Application closing date: 17 October 2018
Background Information – Job-specific
The Office of Information and Communications Technology is responsible for defining strategic direction for ICT to the Secretariat. It provides oversight of ICT programmes, budgets and decision-making to ensure alignment with the Secretariat’s overall ICT strategy. The team consists of more than 300 people operating global data centers and coordinating services provided by more than 4,000 people in UN offices worldwide. The Office is headquartered in New York and sits within the Department of Management.
The Office focuses on strategic, long-term improvements across the Secretariat, through:
- Enterprise applications (such as Umoja, inspira, Mail, Self Service, Connections and Docs);
- New technologies and innovation (for example business intelligence, analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and blockchain);
- Efficient management and development of its global ICT infrastructure (including lease lines and satellite communications);
- Strengthening information security;
- Project management frameworks;
- ICT governance; and
- Establishment of ICT policies, architecture and standards
UNOPS helps its partners in the United Nations system meet the world’s needs for building peace, recovering from disaster, and creating sustainable development. UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe. In an effort to promote organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Information Systems Officer for Inspira programme
Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Officer for Inspira programme will be responsible for the following duties.
Function / Expected Results:
- Manages projects involving feasibility studies, systems analysis, design, development and implementation of new, moderately complex systems, and/or, acts as a team leader of a business analyst team with responsibility for major components of the more complex systems.
- Maintains, upgrades or enhances existing user systems; troubleshoots and provides continuing user support, to include resolving difficult problems, advising on the use of new techniques, monitoring transactions to measure performance and continued effectiveness of assigned systems, etc.
- Gathers and documents requirements and performs analysis to identify key business needs; including coordination between business functions and development teams to act as the single point of contact for the business function; ensuring that the designed solution meets business needs.
- Researches, analyzes and evaluates new technologies and makes recommendations for their deployment.
- Assists in production support by investigating reported application problems and works with ICT functional and technical specialists to test, diagnose, analyze and isolate the root cause of problems. Coordinates further diagnosis and tests as necessary and recommend workarounds where appropriate.
Impact of Results
- Development of effective recommendations on systems design and applications to meet business requirements, and implementation of projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- Development of creative approaches to problem resolution.
- Development of partnerships and effective interactions with colleagues and users internally and externally.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- PRINCE2 certification is desirable.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems is required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in ERP implementation in Oracle PeopleSoft is required.
- A minimum of five years working experience and in-depth knowledge of Oracle PeopleSoft HR modules is required.
- Experience in full lifecycle implementations of enterprise systems is desirable.
- Experience working in various UN Secretariat organizations as well as agencies is an asset. Familiarity with systems used in the UN, including their technical aspects and business functionalities.
- Experience in HR-IT applications in the UN system such as Inspira or Careers Portal is highly desirable.
- Experience in Performance Management and Learning Management solution is highly desirable.
- Experience in implementing integrations with UMOJA is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to persuade others to accept systems recommendation.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.