Application closing date: 31 December 2018
Background Information – Cambodia
UNOPS established its Cambodia Office (KHOH) in early 2013 which oversees a diverse set of projects/programs that includes a multi-donor funded project to support the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) known as the Khmer Rouge Tribunal, the Malaria Programs funded by the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM), the Regional Ardemisinin Initiative (RAI), advisory services to the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Governance related projects funded by the EU as well as nutrition related initiatives.
UNOPS KHOH is also overseeing business activities and providing support and services to UNOPS operations in other countries, especially within the Mekong Region and the Philippines.
UNOPS KHOH is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio comprised of projects and programs in the infrastructure, governance, procurement, justice and agricultural sector and subsequently is looking for qualified and committed experts.
This is an international internship opportunity, so it opens to everyone. Individuals who are the father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister of a personnel member of UNOPS are not eligible for an internship.
1. Functional Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Infrastructure Intern shall be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Coordinate with relevant UNOPS colleagues working in business development areas in formulating inception of new infrastructure projects and business leads.
- Support the management of relationships with development partners, contractors and service providers, ensuring that they have sound understanding of UNOPS project management regulations and processes.
- Participate in coordination meetings with development partners related to infrastructure development.
- Review project designs and follow-up actions for project acceptance.
- Draft project related documents such as programme briefs, presentations, concept notes, or any other document as required, ensuring that documents are accurate and comply to UNOPS format and style.
- Providing assistance in the training, workshops and meetings with local engineers related to resilient infrastructure.
- Day to day tasks as assigned.
2. Learning Opportunities offered to the Intern:
- UNOPS highly values interns’ contributions and realizes the importance of learning during an internship. UNOPS thus provides a wealth of opportunities for on-the-job training, studying project-related documents, data analysis and preparation of reports and statistics. UNOPS encourages the intern to raise specific wishes regarding learning opportunities before and during the internship.
- In the performance of his/her duties, the intern will gain exposure to the full-range of UNOPS operations, clients, and donors. The intern will also gain key insight into the workings of the United Nations s1zystem as well as the interplay between donor-financing, partnership-building, field-work, and the political complexity involved in working at a United Nations organization.
- The intern will also gain expose to an international and culturally diverse environment where s/he will be in a unique position to gain an understanding of the dynamics of working in a multicultural setting and the challenges and opportunities involved therein.
- To the extent possible, the intern will have full access and be able to participate in the full range of UNOPS training and educational opportunities.
3. Terms and Conditions
- Workspace in a shared office including computer, stationery, land line telephone
- Use of common office facilities, as for all UNOPS staff
- A monthly stipend (around 330 USD/month) from UNOPS, if they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lump sum of USD 500 if the intern is not receiving travel funding from other institutions. However, interns must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel, insurance coverage.
- Assistance with application for work visa.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a university degree (Bachelor, Master or PhD) or await to graduate in the field of infrastructure, civil engineer or other related fields.
- Applicants who have graduated from such studies within the recent three years will also be considered eligible for the position.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office 2010, in particular Excel and PowerPoint.
- Project Design
- Project Management
- Risk Analysis
- Stakeholder Management
- Any prior work experience is not required; however, some experience in infrastructure, civil engineer or project management is desirable.
- Experience in report writing, project proposal writing and/or article or research paper publication desirable.
Fluency in oral and written English is required.