Application closing date: 16 December 2018
Background Information – IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
The Legal Analyst will be part of the IPAS legal team. This team provides legal advice and support to all field offices and headquarters on corporate and institutional legal matters arising in UNOPS. Typically this includes advice on legal documents and agreements relating to the receipt of funds and legal documents relating to procurement, grant support, leases, service level agreements and other agreements to disburse funds. The team also provides the field with capacity building, training and assists with the review of internal policies and procedures.
Under the overall guidance of the IPAS Legal Advisor the incumbent shall:
Support to implementation
- Review contracts and agreements with donors, suppliers, clients and other partners;
- Research specific legal issues on major databases;
- Advise on the development and implementation of policies and the correct use of authority by UNOPS personnel;
- Assist in handling disputes and claims;
- Provide quality input and advice on project proposals;
- Support the implementation of UNOPS standards
- Coordinate and review audit responses and follow-up on implementation of audit recommendations;
- Contribute to the enhancement of policies within UNOPS.
- Actively contribute to global knowledge by maintaining knowledge systems and sharing information and knowledge across the organisation in line with UNOPS Knowledge Management Strategy;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of corporate systems and tools;
- Maintain the IPAS Legal Intranet site;
- Maintain records of decisions made and actions taken.
- A university degree from an accredited educational institution in law is required.
- Advanced university degree (master’s or equivalent) in international law, or a closely related area is required.
- Candidate must be qualified to practice law.
- Minimum two years of post-graduate experience analysing legal issues and conducting legal research, preferably with an international organization or legal office is required
- Experience in the application of regulations and rules, policies, procedure and decision-making processes of an international organization is strongly preferred
- Experience analysing legal issues and conducting legal research in support of a legal office/government agency/international organization is required
- Demonstrated theoretical knowledge of international law, in particular lex mercatoria and the application of legal principles, concepts and policies to the review, examination and processing of a range of legal issues and documents; sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential material;
- Proficiency in legal drafting and ability to draft accurately, clearly and concisely under time pressure.
- Demonstrated experience in communicating complex legal concepts across a range of audiences.
- Demonstrated field experience in a development context is an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of Spanish is desirable.