Application closing date: 25 September 2018
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
The Portfolio Management Officer reports directly to the WASH + Senior Portfolio Manager and will act as the deputy team leader of the portfolio management team delivering a range of implementation services on behalf of its clients in areas of project management, funds administration, grants management, procurement, human resources administration, as well as finance and general administration.
In his/her role, the Portfolio Management Officer will focus on internal portfolio planning and coordination, project management advice, support client relationship management and analysis/enhancement of existing work streams and systems/tools with internal and external stakeholders.
Portfolio Planning, Coordination and (Deputy) Team Management
- Coordinate and oversee the preparation of workplans for different components of the portfolio, including establishment of resource requirements and cost implications.
- Establish portfolio goals and targets by actively supporting coordination within the team work streams to achieve results;
- Create tools and establish working systems or guidance to facilitate improved collaboration between functions within the Portfolio Management Team (PMT);
- Initiate and actively support learning activities for PMT members, as required, on methods, tools and practices that facilitate effective planning, coordination and implementation;
- Actively and regularly liaise with the Portfolio Finance Analyst and the Finance Officer to ensure work is aligned with budget plans in an effort to drive implementation results and support financial management of projects;
- Monitor implementation of the portfolio activities, including the identification of potential gaps, proposing solutions for improved implementation support;
- Establish systems and planning tools to be used by the PMT to enhance collaboration, information sharing and oversight;
- Input and update accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring of the projects under the portfolio, contribute to Quarterly Assurance and provide this information to the Project Management Office (PMO) as required;
- Support the Senior Portfolio Manager in the development of written legal, policy and oversight documents related to governance, guidance, hosting terms, SOPs, risk management etc. to support strategic hosting approaches;
- Attend internal UNOPS meetings with the Senior Portfolio Manager and to represent him/her as required;
- Supervise, coach and mentor junior team personnel as required.
- In support of the Senior Portfolio Manager, support business development work for the Portfolio, as required.
Advice on Project Management, Implementation and Operation Models and best practices
- Provide advice to partners on UNOPS project management standards, implementation models/practices and operational with focus on planning;
- Act as direct client(s) focal point for project management providing oversight advice to ensure activities are carried out providing clear ‘value for money’ and be in compliance with UNOPS PM policies and best practices;
- Constantly acquire knowledge of all new developments in policies, guidelines and tools and ensure that appropriate interpretations and compliances exist in the portfolio. Act as direct focal point for new Project Management Manual (PMM)/oneUNOPS Projects.
- Lead implementation debates and exercises related to planning, systematic management of data needs, results reporting and coordinate responses to requests for information from other internal units and external parties;
Support Client Relationship Management and Capacity Development
- Manage client relations at authorized level to ensure constant responsiveness to client(s) needs and monitoring of portfolio implementation progress to proactively address all issues arising;
- Regularly liaise with Senior Managers and Deputy Director providing regular inter-face to the clients, directing client colleagues to the correct experts for advice in the UNOPS Geneva office or at HQ level as required;
- Initiate and lead organizational and client(s) capacity-building of high performance delivery of project objectives through formal training, coaching and mentoring of internal clients and partners;
- Actively understand the context of client(s) needs, conduct independent investigation to ensure all factors are understood before providing appropriate advice;
- As requested, support business development initiatives and other client(s) engagement activities beyond those in the Portfolio.
Ensure optimization of operational systems and tools
- Analyse and research advanced, suitable technologies and systems to develop tools to support portfolio operations and oversight needs, testing innovative planning tools to ensure high-standards in collaboration and communication;
- Continuously maintain and review/seek improvements of existing ERP and other relevant tools for best support systems;
- Participate in and conduct trainings for the operations/projects staff on best tools and/or ERP system;
- Provide contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Coordinate and lead initiatives in training, both internally for the PMT and externally for the client(s);
- Coordinate across portfolio units to contribute to Geneva Office’s work in the development and use of intelligent operational tools and systems.
- Five (5) years of relevant experience in the area of project management support including but not limited to project management, advisory support, operations, and communications work is required. Of which three years of experience in operations is also required, including but not limited to the area of procurement and grant-management
- Experience in research, analysis and writing is desirable
- Experience in operational and/or strategic planning is desirable
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset. (UN languages are English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese Mandarin, Arabic).
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: International ICA Level 2
Contract duration: ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx