Application closing date: 21 June 2019
Summary of key results:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Management of procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Team Management
Under the direct supervision of the UNOPS Kenya Multi Country Office (KEMC) Head of Support Services, the incumbent is expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Ensures elaboration and implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- KEMC procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit.
- Synthesis of proposals and implementation of contract strategy in the KEMC, including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment.
- Conceptualization, elaboration and Implementation of the strategic procurement, including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, legal considerations and performance measurement.
- Develop knowledge and monitor the commodity market for goods and services in the area of responsibility, and be able to identify and select potential vendors
- Analyze specific procurement requirements and develop related procurement strategies.
Manages and guides procurement processes for the KEMC focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Plan, develop and manage all procurement and contractual aspects related to worldwide procurement of diverse products, services and infrastructure works.
- Advice requisitioning units and recipient entities on the full range of procurement and contractual issues, providing support and guidance at all stage of the procurement cycle.
- Identify new technologies, products, and services; evaluate and recommend potential supply sources; and incorporate research results into the procurement program.
- Lead the work of procurement and / or contract staff and ensure the timely preparation of procurement plans for the OC and implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organizational RFQs, ITBs, or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Review and certify submissions to LC / HQ CPC (Contracts and Property Committee)
- Implement the internal control systems which ensures the Purchase Orders are duly prepared and dispatched and ensure timely corrective actions on PO’s with budget check errors and other problems
- Management of the implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement
- Oversee adherence to contractual agreements, recommends amendments and extensions of contracts, and advise concerned parties on contractual rights and obligations.
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Establishment and implementation of harmonized procurement services and elaboration of proposals on common services expansion and management of joint procurement for UN Agencies in line with UN reform.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Working with project team members on procurement needs, providing technical support and advice on specifications, cost implications, and logistics for safe delivery both internationally and nationally.
- Organization of training for National Staff
- Organization of training for Government staff and stakeholders (upon request) on procurement as required
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in procurement
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective recruitment, work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the KEMC in procurement management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Strategic approach to procurement, accurate, thoroughly researched and documented information, timely and appropriate delivery of services, introduction of e-procurement ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNOPS programmes and projects.
Education / Experience / Language requirements
- Advanced Degree (Master’s) or equivalent in Business/Commerce, law, economics or related field is required;
- First level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in Business/Commerce, law, economics or related field combined with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- A minimum of 5 years experience in procurement is required
- Experience in international organization(s) is preferred
- Knowledge of UNOPS / UN regulations, rules, policies, procedures and practices would be highly desirable;
- Knowledge of ERP systems (i.e. oneUNOPS) will be well regarded.
- Work experience in developing/post conflict countries is an added advantage
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Professional certification in procurement is an asset (CIPS min Level 4)