Application closing date: 25 February 2019
Background Information – Job-specific
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
- Plan, develop and manage all procurement-related aspects of solicitations for a range of goods and services, taking into account sustainability aspects, the local economic and other market or political conditions
- Conduct market research to keep abreast of market developments, researching and analysing data, evaluating and recommending potential supply sources
- Prepare and review technical specifications and/or terms of references for complex procurements, design cost estimations for the required goods/services, creation of technical and financial evaluations
- Formulate strategies and design innovative solutions to minimize and resolve issues/conflicts for complex procurement projects
- Lead negotiations with supplier representatives
- Develop and implement supplier relationship management/contract management plans as appropriate
Expertise and Advice
- Function as a subject matter expert in process and policy application in relation to procurement of general goods and services
- Prepare case presentations for review and recommendation by appropriate contract review body, act as a reviewer of procurement business cases prepared by other offices
- Regular reporting using procurement process monitoring systems and mechanisms
- Participation in delivery of procurement training programs
- Act as a procurement point of reference and guide other staff through the procurement process as necessary (other practitioners, evaluation committee members, clients etc.)
- In close cooperation with stakeholders, such as other UN agencies, donors, NGOs and other departments within UNOPS, prepare realistic procurement plans and appropriate procurement strategies
- Assist stakeholders with amendments, extensions, general contract administration and other procurement-related contractual issues throughout the life cycle of the contract
- Coach and mentor staff who may report to the Procurement Specialist
- Performing such other duties and responsibilities relevant to the functions of a Procurement Specialist
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Supply Chain / Procurement, Business/Commerce, Accounting/Finance, Law, Economics, or other related discipline is required.
- First level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in related field with additional 2 years of relevant working experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a procurement role is required.
- Demonstrated experience in a range of procurement activities such as process, policy, strategic sourcing, contract management, supplier relationship management.
- Demonstrated experience in communicating and advising across a range of audiences.
- Well-developed analytical thinking, problem solving, and negotiation skills.
- Public Procurement expertise and/or working experience is an asset.
- Work experience in international organizations is an asset.
- Experience in UN system organizations preferably in a field office is desirable.
- Fluency in English required.
- Fluency in French required.
- Knowledge of Spanish is strongly desirable.
Professional certification in procurement is desirable.