Application closing date: 13 December 2018
Background Information – Project
UNOPS SSOC will be implementing the South Sudan Safety Net Project (SSSNP), which is funded by the World Bank (WB) to address existing challenges of soaring levels of poverty, vulnerability, unemployment and idleness, particularly amongst youth. The project development objective is to provide access to income opportunities and temporary employment to the poor and vulnerable households and strengthen safety nets delivery systems.
SSSNP has three main components namely:
a. Public works plus including complementary activities like entrepreneurial skills, WASH trainings and early childhood development and nutrition messaging;
b. Direct income support targeting House Holds that are labour constrained;
c. Strengthening safety net delivery systems;
The project will be targeting the most vulnerable segments of South Sudanese population aiming to benefit in excess of 68 thousand beneficiary House Hold in more than 10 vulnerable locations across the country.
Background Information – Job Specific
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
- Project Implementation
- Project monitoring and reporting
- Stakeholder management, coordination and liaison
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Lead the transition and recruitment process of ICs.
1. Project Implementation
- Lead all administration and financial aspects of the project
- Maintain thorough knowledge of the project, as well as an understanding of how that impacts the other stakeholders
- Monitor, coordinate, and communicate strategic objectives of the project to WB
- Facilitate communications between UN and WB for project related issues
- Work with project staff members to develop a greater understanding of the project and any issues that arise
- Develop and foster relationships between UN and WB, stakeholders, and other entities
- Collect, analyze, and utilize data and feedback to identify opportunities to improve the relationship between WB and UN
- Compile reports about particular incidents, events, or updates about important issue for the project
- Proactively solve conflicts and address issues that could occur between parties
- Carry out any other duties and projects as required by the Project Manager.
2. Project monitoring and reporting
- Provide substantive inputs to assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project completion reports and ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
3. Stakeholder management, coordination and liaison
- Support the coordination and management of communications
- Liaise and build relationships between UNOPS and WB for the purposes of facilitating activities and improving the quality and relevance of information analysis
- Participate in meetings with UN agencies, NGO’s and other Stakeholders as required.
4. Knowledge management and innovation
- Support the compilation of lessons learned as per defined reporting format
- Ensure that Local capacities are built at every level and opportunity for Project Support
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building
- Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques.
Impact of Results
The Project Support Officer directly impacts on achievement of project results by assisting the Project Manager to adhere to project management methods and strategies, reduced risks, cut costs and improved success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Logistics, Emergency Management, International Relations or related field is an asset.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Logistics, Emergency Management, International Relations or related field with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience, specifically in the field of Project Management and/or Operations Management is required.
- Experience in humanitarian emergency operating contexts, including humanitarian coordination mechanisms, donors, security, and operations management is an asset;
- Experience and knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Procurement and/or Finance and/or HR Management and/or administrative rules and regulations will be an advantage;
- Previous experience working with UNOPS and/or World Bank projects and/or South Sudan is an advantage;
- Experience working in post-conflict or conflict situations is an advantage;
- Skills in Budget Management is essential.
PRINCE2® Foundation/ Practitioner is an advantage
Fluent working knowledge of English is required