Application closing date: 20 November 2018
Background Information – Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the direct supervision, guidance and direction of the Project Manager (PM), the QA/QC Engr / DPM will contribute to ensuring that the project is performing at highest quality in all aspects and meeting the agreed standards, achieving the project objectives and are in compliance with UNOPS and up to date. The QA/QC Engr / DPM will be heading the project technical team, responsible to oversee all technical issues, act as a reference person for any engineering issue and provide recommendations to the Project Manager to enable him to take relevant decisions.
The QA/QC Engr / DPM is expected to be on the site on daily basis and ensure the smooth implementation of the works. The QA/QC Engr / DPM will be the second most senior position on the project, who may also be asked to manage project and project team during the absence of PM. The QA/QC Engr / DPM is also expected to have good experience in working with invoice and works progress verifications, payments certification, procurement, managing construction companies, construction sites and dealing with the CDCs, Government authorities and other stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Support the Project Manager in ensuring overall and timely delivery of the UNOPS project implementation
- Responsible for the timely completion of various construction activities according to approved work plans, budget and specified quality standards
- Provide support during the survey and design of the project
- Control and appraise work progress, review and contractors’ work plans and provide recommendations to the Project Manager on how ways to overcome the issues and delays
- Review drawings and other design documentations as per required specification ensuring adherence to applicable construction and/or engineering standards and that works are completed to the highest standards
- Provide drawings, specifications and estimates for tendering and construction for a wide variety of project activities;
- Assist and/or prepare accurate Bills of Quantity and cost estimates for all civil engineering works
- Assemble design and construction documentation packages including all supporting documents
- Provide guidance, and mentor the construction supervisors
- Conduct quality control and prepare progress reports for construction works as required and facilitate the compilation of inputs for monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor the timely submission of payment requests by the contractors, verify them and recommend them for PM’s approval
- Provide advice and direction to ensure good health and safety and environmental practices and controls during construction and mitigate environmental impacts of the works
- Assist in establishing and ensuring adherence to regular communication protocols between project engineers and contractors
- Provide advice and coordination of the works in conjunction with the Contract Management Section and the Contractor
- Collect and document site information in relation to contractor’s work including information on the contractor’s work force, weather, progress of work and any other related information.
- Review the existing practices of local contractors and the conventional methodology of construction and make recommendations that will increase safety on the project sites, taking into account any budget constraints
- Monitor, observe and review materials testing reports to ensure that sampling, testing and inspection of materials are carried out regularly and works are implemented in compliance with design specifications
- Ensure proper record-keeping on construction sites, issue technical instructions on site and follow them
- Identify potential risks that may undermine the quality or timely completion of construction works, or may result in waste of funds, poor financial efficiency or less value for money for the grant.
- Provide technical input and assist the Procurement Management Section with all contractual matters for the completion of the respective contracts
- Review and endorse any design changes that are processed by other parties, and recommend them to PM for implementation
- Assist in building and developing capacity of other technical personnel in construction techniques including good practices and troubleshooting methods
- Provide technical advice and assistance to contractors to ensure that economical and quality materials are purchased
- Monitor the implementation of the works by conducting site visits and provide guidance for improvement and good results
- Any situation that may require decision making, which will involve variation and or additional cost shall be brought to the notice of Project Manager with details of issues encountered at site and appropriate recommendation
- Hold ownership to UNOPS Asset at construction site.
- Conduct and supervise Health & Safety, Social & Environmental (HSSE) issues and concerns, including application of UNOPS standards for HSSE.
- Performs HSSE management and inspections and maintains the required records.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Road Construction or a relevant field from a recognized university required. Professional Certificate in a relevant field and/ or a Master’s Degree will be a distinct advantage
- Minimum 4 years of work experience in the field of construction preferably in paved roads construction and vertical structure projects with proven experience in the supervision of multiple construction sites and construction engineers.
- The candidate MUST have experience in QA / QC Engineer / or construction supervisor role in both paved roads (minimum 2 years) and in vertical structures (public buildings).
- Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with the Government authorities and community organizations.
- Previous work experience with the UNOPS or any of the United Nations agencies is preferred.
- Knowledge of UN/UNOPS rules and regulations is a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written Dari, Pashto, and English is required
- Proven ability to produce technical guidelines, conflict resolution, reporting;
- Good Organizational skills and knowledge of methods to measure contractor’s capacity;
- Fully proficient in computer software, Ms Excel, Ms Word, Ms Project and good knowledge of Auto Cad;
- Knowledge of sources of supply, market trends, pricing, and other related matters;
- Negotiation skills to shape and influence agreements with vendors;
- Discretion and sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve day-to-day construction issues, and understanding of change control;
- Ability to work towards tight deadlines;
- Willingness to travel to / stay at the project sites for all the week.
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills;
- Fluency in oral and written Dari, Pashto, and English is required.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and UNOPS