Application closing date: 5 November 2018
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS has been supporting the Decentralization Reform of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) and the expansion of its operations. One of the areas covered under this process is the development of an Integrated Quality Assurance Framework for the IsDB.
The Bank’s strategic documents, namely the 10 Year Strategy of the Bank (10YS: 2016-2025) and the President’s Five-Year Program (P5P) call for efficient and effective business delivery.
Some of the efficiency-related challenges that require immediate attention include slow project implementation, period between project approval and disbursement is high, and mismatch between the IsDB’s Member Countries (MC) needs and IsDB’s interventions.
To meet the aspirations of IsDB’s Member Countries (MCs) for the Bank to be pro-active, fast and adaptive, and to be at the frontier of development, IsDB embarked on a major decentralization as part of the Presidents 5-year Program (P5P). As a result, the end-to-end execution of projects will move to the regional hubs with new delegation of authority (DoA) and business processes. This represents new challenges in terms of the additional requirements on the IsDB’s current quality assessment process, which requires mainstreaming of the Bank’s approach to quality assessment of public sector projects by institutionalizing the culture and relevance of Quality at all stages of the project life cycle to ensure value addition at MC level and ensure the continuing quality of what is delivered in the field.
In this regard, the Operations Quality & Results (OQR) Division, under the Vice Presidency of the Country Programs Complex (CPC), IsDB is planning to develop its own Integrated Quality Assurance Framework (IQA). An IQA Framework will aim to improve implementation readiness and effectiveness of projects.
The purpose of this assignment is to support the IsDB in the development of the Integrated Quality Assurance (IQA) Framework that will set out the quality assurance and control processes for guiding the project operations of IsDB.
Under the overall responsibility of UNOPS Head of Programme, and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the expert will be responsible of the following activities:
- Look into IsDB’s Internal Performance Ratings of Projects across Regions and Sectors
- Review IsDB’s existing relevant policies, procedures and guidelines, as well as the in-house project review mechanisms and accompanying tools and templates.
- Benchmarking with the quality assurance frameworks of the other MDBs and development institutions
Develop an Integrated Quality Assurance Framework:
- Establish the Quality Assurance Standards and the methodology to measure compliance against these standards
- Develop a comprehensive Quality Assurance Process that describes the process to be followed to achieve the Quality Assurance Standards, including clear Roles and Responsibilities of all relevant stakeholders at each step of the process
- Benchmark operational templates with best industry practice and the modus operandi of other MDBs
Mainstreaming and Capacity Building:
- Develop an Action Plan for implementation and operationalization of the Quality Assurance standards and associated processes
- Develop training sessions/ modules for contributing to capacity building of the internal and external stakeholders and conduct training sessions
The expert will work under the guidance of the IsDB OQR Division. The deliverables will be developed based on consultations with all relevant internal stakeholders and will be in line with IsDB’s new organizational structure, Business model and the Delegation of Authority (DoA).
- Advanced University Degree in Business Administration (Masters Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience; or a First Level University Degree (Bachelors Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 9 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master.
- At least 7 years of experience in operations management
- Proven experience in Quality Assurance and Quality Control processes with regard to project management is required.
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural and international environment is required
- Proficiency in the use of computer applications, including MS Office (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) is required
- Fluency in English is required.