Application closing date: 17 October 2018
Background Information – Job-specific
Under the overall guidance of the LCR Regional Director, the primary supervision of LCR Coordinator of Regional Activities). The Regional ICT Specialist is responsible for coordinating, implementing and strengthening Information Communications and Technology support services, operations and initiatives in the Latin-American and Caribbean Region (LCR). The Regional ICT Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.
The role needs to understand effective usage of modern collaboration and productivity solutions, and be effective in supporting, rolling out, and best utilizing such platforms.
The Regional ICT Specialist will act as second supervisor of other ICT personnel in the LCR region. The individual in this position will work in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project teams in the LCR Regional Office, LCR Operations/Project Centres and UNOPS HQ ICT Unit ensuring successful performance in ICT management.
The incumbent in this position will perform the following core ICT functions:
1.Regional Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) support to LCR’s locations and assurance against corporate standards
Provides regional leadership and management of the ICT function focusing on the following results:
- Coordinating the region ICT network, acting as a mentor and providing expert guidance on relevant functional and technical matters.
- Influencing continuous learning and development opportunities to strengthen ICT network capacities
- Acting as secondary supervisor of ICT focal points, which includes working in collaboration with primary supervisor on setting objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and client focused services.
- Ensure that ICT focal points are engaged in continuous learning of ICT technologies
- Acting as a liaison between LCR and FG ICT Unit in Copenhagen with regard to any ICT project, coordinating implementation and meeting minimum corporate ICT standards.
- Promoting LCR ICT network teamwork and collaboration
- Fostering a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Provides functional and technical expertise to the ICT function focusing on the following results:
- Providing expertise and expert guidance to LCR ICT network in all areas with an emphasis on implementing ICT corporate operations quality guidelines and standards including network management, cybersecurity, continuity/disaster recovery risks, business continuity and contingency plans, etc.
- Working closely with FG ICT unit to assure all systems are in line with ICT’s long-term strategy
- Working closely with LCR ICT network and HoSS to oversee the planning of ICT infrastructure requirements and serve as ICT technical advisor
- Checking and ensuring compliance with relevant ICT standards, policies and procedures
- Embeds relevant knowledge management and innovation within the ICT function by contributing to the development of internal capacity across the organization in the area of ICT and sharing good practices and lessons learnt with LCR ICT network.
2. Effectively coordinate in the rollout and support of relevant technology platforms. Act as an ambassador and resource to ensure that all users in the region are best able to utilize tools available to address business needs.
3. Acts as ICT focal point for the implementation of ICT operation standards in support to the two offices located in Panama: (1) Latin America and Caribbean Regional Office and (2) Panama Project Centre. As required may temporarily provide support in the capacity of ICT focal point to other LCR office.
4. Provides technical support to portfolio development at regional level focusing in the following results:
- Scoping of ICT demands in projects.
- Contributing to proposal development through advice on scope, budget, timeline and quality of ICT components.
- Developing and/or reviewing requirements for the procurement of projects ICT equipment.
- Implementation support to ICT related projects.
- Contribute to portfolio development of ICT projects in the different countries in the region. This may involve travel and meetings with UNOPS partners.
5. Other functions related to the role as required by the primary or secondary supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Technology Management, Mathematics or other relevant discipline is required. A master’s Degree is desired
- Technical education in combination with additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor’s degree
- Minimum four (4) years of experience required in the area of ICT
- Experience with managing and maintaining enterprise-level infrastructure is required
- Experience with managing and maintaining enterprise-level software / business applications is required
- Experience in rolling out new technologies to users and managing transition issues is required
- Experience with Google productivity technologies such as G Suite/Drive/Docs/Sheets/Slides/Forms/Chromebooks a distinct advantage
- Must be fluent in Spanish
- Must have an intermediate level in English. An advanced level is an asset.