Senior Civil Engineer-Retainer – Home based
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
- Review, analyse and advise on existing dam infrastructure;
- Review, analyse and comment on existing designs;
- Assess and review risks;
- Develop approaches to new design and or rehabilitation of dams and associated infrastructure;
- Contribute technical expertise to feasibility studies;
- Prepare designs and costs of infrastructure;
- Advise on life cycles and maintenance requirements;
- Participate in meetings with various parties including stakeholders;
- Prepare design briefs and design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary
- Prepare comprehensive design documentation.
- Work closely with other professionals in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing integrated designs and or reports.
- Ensure the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs for review by TSU Manager.
- Carry out design services for projects according to the client’s design requirement and as per applicable international standards and codes of practices.
- Strong ability in producing relevant bill of quantities of the projects proposed.
- Carry out site inspections and assessments as required.
- Develop specifications, procedures and QA/QC protocols when required.
- Proactively assist the Technical Unit Manager in managing the design projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints.
- Liaise with international clients and address requirements when required.
- Co-ordinate the works and submissions with all other disciplines.
- Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design.
- Carry out technical reviews as appropriate.
- Review and certify design documentation as a third party independent reviewer when required.
The Senior Civil Engineer- Retainer will predominantly work from home with frequent travels (i.e. one-third of his/her time) within Countries under the KEMC as required and as UNDSS permits.
An agreed scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-KEMC and the Senior Civil Engineer -Retainer prior to commencement of each assignment.
- Advanced University Degree in Civil & Structural Engineering or other relevant discipline is required.
- University Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience in Civil & Structural Engineering or other relevant discipline may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience in civil structural work is required
- Experience in civil works especially on dams is required
- Experience in infrastructure in developing country context is an asset
- Experience in Disaster Risk Reduction / Management is an asset
- Experience in Southern Africa region is an asset
- Experience working on international/local projects in conflict/disaster prone areas is an asset.
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.