Background Information – Job-specific
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the Africa Regional Office oversees UNOPS activities in approx 30 countries across Africa. The geographic portfolio includes 6 sub-regional hubs and 2 key standalone country offices.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Regional Director (RD) for Africa, the Senior Partnerships Advisor provides substantive and organisational support to the RD and field offices in Africa with developing and managing partnerships with Governments, UN Organizations, Development Finance Institutions, other International Organizations as well as the private sector.
Summary of Key Functions
Partnerships development, business acquisition and growth Knowledge management, innovation and technical support Efficient partner relationships and organizational work ethics and culture
*** The selected candidate would be required to travel extensively in an out of the region.
1. Partnerships development, business acquisition and growth include the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate implementation of AFR business plan 2018 – 2021 and lead the annual updates of AFR as well as hubs and offices business plans;
- Coordinate donor and partner mapping exercise covering both the development and humanitarian landscape;
- Advise the AFR RD and Senior Management Team on the possibilities for UNOPS strategic positioning, vis-à-vis the potential partners;
- Coordinate preparation of substantive briefs on specific partners, UNOPS strategic positioning, and partnership opportunities;
- Establish working relationships with key potential partners and attend relevant meetings in an effort to position UNOPS as a partner of choice;
- Lead, manage and coordinate agreement negotiations, drafting of project proposals, budget and other partnership and programme development communication;
- Coordinate and maintain regular communication with the Corporate Partnership Group (PLG) in UNOPS HQ in Copenhagen;
- Coordinate and collaborate with relevant partnerships and programme personnel at the country, regional and UNOPS HQ level, to ensure aligned and coherent interactions with partners.
2. Knowledge management, innovation and technical support, including the following responsibilities:
- Advise on the policy-level issues related to partnerships and programme development for UNOPS AFR; Assess and keep abreast of the emerging trends in the development and humanitarian spheres in Africa, as related to UNOPS services;
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learnt as related to partnership and programme development. Implement standards, tools and templates provided by PLG to effectively manage partnership and programme development within AFR;.
- Contribute to UNOPS capacity development as related to partnerships, including promoting learning, coaching and mentoring the team members, field staff on UNOPS policy and practices for effective management of partnerships;
- Participate in and conduct the relevant training for the operations/ projects personnel, and participate in field missions, as required.
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice. Supervise the activities of junior staff within the AFR partnerships team.
3. Efficient partner relationships and organizational work ethics and culture, including the following responsibilities:
- Actively engage with partners to solicit feedback and gauge their satisfaction with UNOPS services;
- Coordinate implementation of partner surveys within AFR as appropriate.
- Undertake advocacy, public information and communication activities in collaboration with PLG, when required. On behalf of the AFR Regional Director, participate in and report on the relevant inter-agency, donor and government coordination meetings, international conferences, summits, etc;
- Actively engage with internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrate professional and personal ethics, transparency and openness.
Perform other related duties as required.
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Business Administration, Political Science, International Relations, International Development, Social Sciences or a related discipline is required;
- A First-Level University Degree (Bachelor’s) in combination with 2 years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in an international development context combining the following:
– strategy development and execution – acquisition of new business and establishment of partnerships with UN organizations, development finance institutions, governments, foundations, international NGOs or private sector organisations
- In-depth knowledge of development issues and current donor and sectoral trends, with emphasis on deep understanding of Africa partner / donor landscape as well as Africa’s humanitarian and development challenges is required;
- Knowledge / experience of Development Finance Institutions particularly of the Africa Development Bank is required
- Experience in dealing and negotiating with external stakeholders is required;
- Demonstrated experience working in project and programme management, international development, post-disaster and/or emergency contexts;
- Experience in the private sector and/or social impact investing ;
- Experience in International Organizations is an asset, particularly current and targeted partners for AFR (e.g., donor governments, African regional entities, UN);
- PRINCE2® Foundation Certification and PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification
- Experience with SharePoint, PowerBi, Outlook, and Microsoft Office suite. Strong Excel skills
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English and French are required.
Application closing date: 31 July 2019