Application closing date: 20 May 2019
Background Information – Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Project Manager (PM), and in close coordination with the Construction Engineer and other project staff, the Site Engineer will carry out on-site supervision of work performed by Contractors to ensure the work is carried out as per the requirements stipulated in the Contract, ensuring high standard of quality, timely completion, maintaining cost under approved budget, while maintaining transparency and integrity in all affairs.
- Responsible for day-to-day coordination of site work with the contractors and suppliers according to the needs and requirements on site.
- Inspect and report on Contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the Contractor meets the high quality standards expected by UNOPS as per the Contract.
- Check contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with Contract specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified time frame.
- Provide support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary.
- Attend the project site(s) daily in order to monitor progress of works, identify issues and problems and to provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards, in consultation with the Construction Engineer/Project Manager.
- Prepare progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works on a weekly basis and submit to the Project Manager.
- Assesse the work activities of contractors, measure completed work and make recommendations to the Project Manager for progress payments to contractors.
- Maintain records systematically, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures.
- Evaluate and assess works schedules, programmes, site plans including Construction Environmental Management Plan, Health and Safety Management Plan, Procurement Plan and any other relevant plans in comparison with the schedule baselines and report to the Project Manager accordingly.
- Check all laboratory reports, operation and maintenance manuals, and keep records and report to the Project Manager accordingly.
- Coordinate with the Contractors and suppliers and Inspect all materials delivered to site to ensure they meet the requirements of the specifications. Take corrective actions where the quality of materials delivered to site do not meet the specification requirements. Prepare detailed reports on deliveries made to sites.
- Conduct, at least on a weekly basis or more frequently as needed, site health, safety and environmental inspections, prepare detailed reports on inspections and submit to the Project Manager.
- Ensure the health and safety on site is maintained to a very high standard. Conduct daily inspections and ensure Contractor takes appropriate corrective actions where deficiencies were observed.
- Check, verify and approve the interim payments submitted by the Contractors and submits detailed reports to the Project Manager.
- Assesse and report on the project closing plans, as-built drawings, archiving of cost and progress reports and hand over all related reports to the Project Manager.
- Provide information and assistance to the preparation of high level Technical Reports for projects.
- Perform other related duties as required by the Project Manager.
Bachelor’s Degree in Building/Civil Engineering, Architecture or equivalent professional qualification.
B. Work Experience
- At least 4 years experience as a Buildings/Civil Engineer.
- A minimum 2 years’ demonstrable experience in on-site construction of buildings or construction supervision of building works.
- Proficient in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), contract management software and experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Knowledge and skills in using AutoCAD will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations will be an advantage.
Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari/Pashtu is required.
D. Key Competencies
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and new work assignments.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate with various support service units, work on tight deadlines, and handle multiple concurrent activities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentational), including ability to present sensitive issues/positions and to write reports and technical decisions quantitatively justified.
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment.
- Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge.
- Ability to build and promote effective teams and enable competence by sharing knowledge.
- Ability to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.