Application closing date: 19 June 2019
Background Information – Job-specific
The mission of UNOPS is to serve people in need by expanding the capacity of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three main knowledge areas, UNOPS provides its partners with transactional, advisory and implementation services in projects ranging from the construction of schools and hospitals to the acquisition of goods and services or the training of local staff. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure greater economic, social and environmental sustainability in the projects we support, with special emphasis on the development of national capacity
Working in some of the most challenging environments in the world, the vision of UNOPS is to promote sustainable implementation practices in the humanitarian, development and peace-building contexts, always with the objective of meeting or exceeding the expectations of our partners.
The above described, also applies to the Republic of Panama, where UNOPS is developing some important projects for the National Government. Among which, we can mention the project called Humanitarian Aid Logistic Center and the Integral Management and Implementation of the New Colon Penitentiary Complex Project. The projects developed by UNOPS require the selected professional to develop their architecture and engineering knowledge, document the activities, be proactive, work in teams and manage their work packages with transparency, efficiency and effectiveness.
The Coordinator (ra) will integrate the multidisciplinary technical team of UNOPS Panama (PAPC) for the supervision and quality control of the projects developed in BIM environments by those responsible for the designs, advice on obtaining the best results, singular aspects and project complexes, support for capacity building of project teams and PAPC counterparts; In this sense, he will contribute to the project from his branch of specialization, in the following activities:
- Support PAPC in the specialty of Building Information Modeling (BIM) including: technical review of assigned projects in order to track the BIM standards, identify missing and opportunities for improvement in the request of information, designs, management and control of the model and the BIM processes.
- Verification and collaboration for the development of the scope of the BEP (BIM Execution Plan), the models delivered by the Contractors and / or counterparts, quality criteria and any other factor necessary for compliance with UNOPS obligations.
- Check that the contractor adheres to the technical criteria necessary for the correct development of designs in BIM environment in the different specialties, through the functions of supervision, advice, evaluation and verification on all stages that are defined and / or assigned .
- Collaborate with UNOPS technical teams, in the correct execution by the Contractor of the designs, promptly resolving the technical requirements of both, ensuring, through proactive supervision, the quality of the development of the contract object and anticipating possible technical problems, socio-environmental or financial depending on the development of the designs.
- Advise UNOPS technical teams during the execution of projects in the area of their specialty.
- Inform the Project Management and / or the Technical Coordinator about issues that may affect the achievement of their results, with special attention to matters related to their social, economic, and environmental sustainability.
- Prepare monthly reports on monitoring and monitoring of projects and special reports as required, in the area of their specialty.
- Attend the observations that may be made by the Technical Coordinator and / or the Project Manager in relation to the review reports in the BIM area, as well as in relation to the work performed.
- Actively participate in the internal coordination meetings, with counterparts, with the contractor companies and the missions and trips that UNOPS establishes for the best fulfillment of the assigned functions.
- Keep the Technical Coordinator and the Project Manager informed of the progress, problems and solutions presented during the development of the tasks entrusted.
- Keep records of procedures performed, minutes of meetings, reports received and those produced, and in general all the relevant technical documentation of the project in the area of their specialty.
- Deliver at the end of your Contract a report that synthesizes the contributions of the Specialist, as well as the concrete achievements within the present agreement.
- Support the strengthening of the capacities of the technical teams of the office and counterparts in the management and promotion of the implementation of the BIM in the infrastructure projects.
- Coordination with the external parties of the BIM processes.
- Perform the quality check processes of the BIM model.
Monitoring and control of progress
- The performance will be measured according to compliance in time and satisfaction of the delivery of the products required by the projects.
- Performance evaluation will be carried out by the supervisor, taking into account also the feedback of the services provided to the different offices / projects.
- The tasks assigned to him according to the needs of the project / offices must have been satisfactorily completed.
- The closing of the different work packages assigned to the professional selected by the Project Manager must be managed, inspected and documented.
Education / Experience / Language requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering or related careers.
- Title at the master’s level is desirable.
- Proven training in BIM modeling and / or BIM management.
- Desirable to have CM-BIM Certification, will be highly valued.
- Minimum 7 years of general experience in design, execution and / or supervision of construction projects.
- Specific experience in the BIM area for buildings and BIM implementation.
- Desirable experience in Social Infrastructure projects (Hospitals, Penitentiary Centers, Educational Centers, etc)
- Good management of operating software (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, etc.).
- Good management of BIM design and management tools (Navisworks, Synchro, AutoCAD, Sketchup, Revit Architectural / Structural / MEP).
- Proficiency in the Spanish language
- Desirable intermediate knowledge of English