Application closing date: 19 June 2019
Background Information – Job-specific
The mission of UNOPS is to serve people in need by expanding the capacity of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three main knowledge areas, UNOPS provides its partners with transactional, advisory and implementation services in projects ranging from the construction of schools and hospitals to the acquisition of goods and services or the training of local staff. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure greater economic, social and environmental sustainability in the projects we support, with special emphasis on the development of national capacity
Working in some of the most challenging environments in the world, the vision of UNOPS is to promote sustainable implementation practices in the humanitarian, development and peace-building contexts, always with the objective of meeting or exceeding the expectations of our partners.
The above described, also applies to the Republic of Panama, where UNOPS is developing some important projects for the National Government. Among which, we can Penitentiary Centers, Hospitals, Educational Centers, among others. The projects developed by UNOPS require the selected professional to develop their knowledge in their area of expertise, document activities, be proactive, work in teams and manage their work packages with transparency, efficiency and effectiveness.
The Specialist in Social Management will integrate the multidisciplinary technical team of UNOPS Panama as responsible for the preparation and implementation of the social management plans of the different projects that UNOPS manages in Panama; In this sense, he will contribute to the project from his branch of specialization, in the following activities:
- Social Diagnosis: conducting interviews to families and final users of the Project, to representatives of organizations and inhabitants of populations neighboring the Project, identifying characteristics and problems as well as support opportunities.
- Preparation of the Social Management Plan of the projects assigned to it.
- Implementation of the Social Management Plan during the execution phase of the works: social support visits to families, users of the project, inhabitants of nearby towns, workshops, institutional strengthening meetings with social organizations whose fundamental lines of work are: access to information, participation, effective access to fundamental rights; the prevention of different forms of violence and discrimination, mainstreaming the gender approach in the different intervention modalities, leading to a line of action to promote gender equality and equity among the key actors of the project, among other aspects
- Attention to citizen complaints and requests and follow-up until their resolution.
- Participative evaluation: in the closing phase of the projects, summon the social actors involved (families, users, social organizations, workers) in order to evaluate relevant aspects of the project and identify lessons learned.
- Systematization of the project experience: preparation of a final report of the project, indicating its impact on the community of action, the externalities to which it has given rise and the lessons learned that may result in an input for the formulation of policy recommendations public at the close of the Program.
The activities foreseen in the framework of the Social Management of the projects include:
- Conducting interviews.
- Visits of social accompaniment to relatives, users of the project, inhabitants of towns near the project
- Collaboration in the design and development of workshops and other spaces for awareness and training.
- Institutional strengthening meetings
- Record of information collected in the field
- Preparation of follow-up reports.
- Preparation of statistical data.
- Information on risks detected in the development of Social Management activities.
- Systematization of lessons learned.
- Contribution to the formulation of public policy recommendations in the social aspect.
- Perform other related functions that are required by the Project Manager.
- Report to the Project Manager
- Have ample availability to travel through the country in case of any needs that require special attention.
- Contribute to the implementation of methodologies and best practices for the promotion of gender equality
- Support in the coordination, implementation and monitoring of the activities proposed in the project related to the gender component
Education / Experience / Language requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in the areas of Social Work, Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology or related branches of Social Sciences.
- Bachelor’s degree (secondary school) will be accepted as long as you certify a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology or related branches of Social Sciences is desirable.
- Good management of operative softwares (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Knowledge in the gender approach in desirable projects.
At least 2 years of general experience (or more according to level of study) in the Social Management of public infrastructure projects.
- Domain of the Spanish language.
- Desirable knowledge of the English language at intermediate level.