The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is seeking a part-time Ops Engineer / System Administrator. OCHA currently maintains multiple web-based platforms that are used in humanitarian response. Although some of our brands have been used for over a decade, ongoing investment has kept our technology modern and relevant. The successful candidate will work with our web-based development teams to maintain and grow the reliable infrastructure that is used by hundreds of thousands of humanitarian responders, supporting staff, and volunteers during the sudden onset and complex emergencies.
The successful candidate must be based in the Americas’ time zones and provide support for four hours between 17:00 GMT and 22:00 GMT
The UN OCHA team operates as a collaboration between developers and operations (“DevOps”). You will work collaboratively with developers to ensure an excellent developer experience; site manager experience; and site visitor experience.
● Support the process of planning, creating, and documenting scalable, secure, and highly available infrastructure for internal development teams.
● Review and update documentation, diagrams, and training documents which outline best practices and standard operating procedures (“runbooks”) to empower developers to leverage existing infrastructure.
● Contribute to the creation of automated and repeatable deployment systems including appropriate development, staging and production environments.
● Collaborate with developers to help design appropriate requirements for systems, network, and application architecture
● Contribute to the creation of disaster recovery plans including the development of incident response plans; if necessary, work with teams to implement plans in emergency situations
● Support and maintain strong relationships with the engineering team and project managers
● Be actively contactable through assigned working times and reachable, at a general knowledgeable level, in the case of a major emergency. Expectations are that you will rely on another part-term system administrator as well the OCHA developers to ensure basic 24 hour coverage.
Contract type: ICA Contract level: IICA-1/ICSC-8 Contract duration: 3 months with possible extension
● A Bachelor’s degree in related fields is required. A Master’s degree in related field can substitute two years of the required relevant experience.
● Secondary education with an additional four (4) years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor’s degree. A relevant technical certificate with additional experience may also be accepted.
● At least 2 years of relevant experience is required.
● Experience in a collaborative (“DevOps”) environment is critical. Developers will share your responsibility of ensuring app stability on a stable infrastructure.
● Production experience with a multi-server, load-balanced environment. Preference given to candidates with this experience in a Cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, or equivalent).
● Production experience with a configuration management tool deployed in a multi-server, load-balanced environment. Preference given to Ansible; experience with Chef, Puppet, or equivalent will also be considered.
● Ability to clearly communicate technical information and with consideration and compassion for the technical abilities of the people they are communicating with
● Production experience supporting or building web applications in at least one of: PHP, Python, Node.js.
● Production experience with database optimisations for performance and availability. Preference given to MySQL / MariaDB; experience with Postgres, or equivalent will also be considered.
● Production experience with build automation tools such as Jenkins or Bamboo
● Demonstrable experience with Git, GitHub, GitLab, and/or Bitbucket
● Demonstrable experience with shell scripting
● Production experience with system administration for large scale Drupal deployments.
● Experience with the components of a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or LEMP (Linux, NGINX, MySQL, PHP) stack.
● RHCE certification or experience with general administration of Debian-based Linux distributions.
● Experience with configuring logging and monitoring tools; and taking action based on the reported alerts (ELK stack, Nagios, and equivalent tools)
● Experience building, installing, and maintaining Linux-based packages for software deployment (RPM or .deb)
● Experience with data migration projects.
● Experience with multi-server hosting environments (N-Tier, sharding, scaling, failover)
● Experience with caching & high availability configuration techniques
● Experience building and deploying Docker containers, and Docker-housed applications
● Ability to accurately explain and document software development and release processes
● Working-level English; with excellent written communication skills (this is a remote position, so most communications will be in writing via text-based chat; or email)
Application Closing Date – 05 September 2019