Application closing date: 30 September 2018
As part of the partnerships signed with its customers, the Operational Platform of Francophone West Africa is required to provide technical assistance, infrastructure project management and program management services, integrating experts highly qualified and experienced in client institutions.
The objective of the program is to reduce poverty through economic growth in Niger. Specific activities include the rehabilitation and maintenance of approximately 180 km of paved and unpaved roads as well as improved irrigation of approximately 13,000 hectares of agricultural land.
With a team of 32 people based in Niamey, UNOPS provides technical assistance and administrative and management support to the government, which is expected to continue for another five years. The overall budget of the program is approximately $ 437 million.
In this context UNOPS is looking for a Head of Program Management Office – PMO who will be responsible for the successful implementation of the project. She / He will have to plan and manage all the steps of the implementation, in order to obtain the expected results. Its role will be to ensure that the management, implementation procedures, methods and practices are consistent with the management standards recommended by client institutions and UNOPS.
The Program Management Office Manager – PMO will ensure the quality assurance of the project within the Program Management Units. It will ensure adequate and consistent selection of activities to be implemented, and maintain a balance between operational priorities and changes, the facilitation of governance and decision-making and the implementation of in place the resources and capacities needed for effective implementation. Where the Program Management Office Manager – PMO will be the first point of contact between the client and UNOPS. She / he will be the link between UNOPS staff at the project level, the Hub-based program management team in Dakar, and the rest of UNOPS. Outside the PMO,
Summary of functions:
- Portfolio management support
- Implementation, planning and closing of the program
- Monitoring and reports
- Stakeholder management
- Quality assurance
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Resource Management
1. Support to portfolio management
- In collaboration with the PMO team, provide appropriate levels of support for program management and administrative support to the client’s executive team on all program activities, while applying current standards and best practices, in accordance with the partner’s policies and procedures
- To improve, if necessary, the existing program / project management methodology to improve the implementation of the program and its components
- Promoting good program management practices, projects and activities within the team of the client institution and serve as liaison and communication channel between the Executive and the implementation of the program implementation teams and projects
- Contribute directly to the supervision of operations
- Provide advice and guidance on program activities and project management in accordance with the contract and program documents
- Ensure the development, implementation and, if necessary, amendment, budgets and organizational charts, ensuring synergies within the client institution
- Liaise with Unit Heads of the client institution and support them on all issues related to project financial and asset management
- Develop and establish the Project Management Office (PMO) Expenditure Tracking Systems, in addition to the online tools of the client institution and UNOPS, to ensure effective planning, accurate forecasts and monitoring constant execution of the project.
2. Establishment, planning and closure of the program
- Facilitate the development of general plans for program implementation, projects and activities, while defining the intermediate steps required to complete the project as a whole
- Develop track and maintain interdependencies between projects
- For the purpose of project closure, provide support (or supervise a representative) to the focal point designated by the organization to the partner
- Facilitate the development and implementation of program management tools, projects and activities
3. Follow-up and reports
- Prepare and publish regular reports of the program, projects and activities in accordance with the donor’s reporting guidelines
- Regularly review the progress of the program, projects and activities, evaluating the performance criteria (scope of the project, cost, time and quality)
- Provide tracking tools and reports as required by client institution and partner procedures
- Define and implement procedures to enable program stakeholders to identify and prioritize risks and problems, plan responses and advise the executive team on mitigation measures to be implemented
- Provide continuous monitoring and analysis of delivery data according to the program management dashboard
- As part of progress monitoring, ensure that all projects update and regularly report progress to milestones and set targets throughout the project cycle. Ensure the progress of the projects and reassemble the information in case of problem
- Establish a baseline of the program, projects and activities (time, cost, quality and scope), and monitor performance against it
- Define and implement a formal project change control process, particularly changes that impact the baseline and results
- Provide the Executive with relevant reports and information to support the program management team.
4. Stakeholder management
- Develop stakeholder profiles and facilitate identification and analysis of stakeholders at program and project levels
- Facilitate and support the formulation of stakeholder management strategies
- Coordinate stakeholder engagement, ensuring effective follow-up of interventions within program activities by fostering synergies with cross-functional support services
- Coordinate and track internal communications related to activities and feedback at the Executive level
5. Quality Assurance
- Work with internal audit and finance departments to ensure program meets audit requirements
- Ensure compliance with partner-defined standards for program / project management
- Coordinate quality control of project / program documents and deliverables
- Ensure quality control of management products (activity documents and reports)
6. Knowledge management and innovation
- Frame and promote capacity-building activities to build long-term and sustainable staff capacity, both at UNOPS staff and the client institution team
- Provide training to Managers and stakeholders on good practices in program management, projects and activities
- Actively interact with project managers to share case studies, lessons learned and best practices
- Provide feedback to ” Chefs de Pratiques ” on policies and work guidelines to achieve continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
- Define and implement procedures to collect, analyze and share lessons learned during program and project implementation. Ensure that these procedures are properly applied
7. Resource Management
- In close collaboration with PMO-Infrastructure team leaders, manage the allocation of resources as well as
- Support the sub-regional office located in Dakar (Senegal) for the recruitment, integration and monitoring of staff performance
- Promote and support a learning culture by empowering individuals and teams to identify their learning needs and provide easy and flexible access to training to maintain and develop staff skills
- Promote a positive work environment, respectful of men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct and ethics are respected.
The Program Management Office (PMO) Manager has a direct impact on the achievement of program results by supporting the Executive in the implementation of optimal project management methods and strategies, by providing risk management. and cost reduction.
Hold a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering and / or Architecture and / or in any other area related to Project Management.
A combination of a degree and 2 years of relevant additional professional experience may be accepted instead of the requirements described above
PRINCE2® Practitioner or Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is highly desirable.
Program / Project Management Professional (MSP®) or PMI-PgMP / PMI-PMP certifications would be an asset.
- Have a minimum of 10 years of relevant and progressive professional experience, especially in the field of project management with successful experience of implementing and / or monitoring programs and projects
- Experience working in the management of a PMO is essential
- Detailed knowledge of internationally accepted methods, regulations and project management, purchasing and financial management tools is required
- Strong experience in data analysis, management reporting and information management tools and systems is required
- Professional experience in sub-Saharan African countries is required
- Experience in managing large multicultural teams and highly experienced professionals is required
- Knowledge and experience in the administration / management of the operating procedures of the International Financial Institutions (IFIs) is an advantage
- A mastery of the Microsoft Project or Primavera software is an asset
Linguistic knowledge A perfect mastery of English and French is essential
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA-4
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.