To guide the operationalisation of the Resilience Livelihoods Framework in the chosen countries, and ensure that VSO is learning from its own work and good practice in the sector. This technical guidance will be carried out through participatory research and desk reviews, and as suggested by the Country Directors of the chosen countries in order to ensure evidence based piloting outcome represents the voice of the primary actors. The Regional Adviser will work closely with the Lead Adviser Secure Livelihoods to oversee the implementation of the recommendations from a recent external review of VSO’s livelihoods work.
Leadership Provide regional leadership to VSO programming quality and learning in livelihoods and foster leadership in others; specifically overseeing VSO’s livelihoods work and the operationalisation of the Revised Livelihoods Frameworks in the lab countries, which is a prioritised recommendations from the ‘Livelihoods Review’.
Knowledge management Generate high quality internal and external evidence, practice and learning from the piloting initiative in the region – “the operationalisation of the Revised Livelihoods Frameworks in the lab countries”; and share knowledge, learning and innovation with other region to strengthen on-going livelihoods programming in the region.
Disseminate knowledge and insights emerging from the piloting initiative, especially into programme and policy, reporting, monitoring evaluation and research, advocacy and fundraising. Develop learning reports for monitoring and evaluation, advocacy and reporting purposes.
Promote good practice Develop systems and processes to share learning from Piloting initiative and support in the analysis of M&E data.
Support Lab country office to improve programme quality in livelihoods
- Identify common piloting challenges and address through participatory evidence based research initiatives.
External communication and influencing
- Identify opportunities for strategic partnerships (including coalitions and alliances) to support the piloting initiative through provision of volunteers, joint programming, shared research and learning
- Develop effective networks and strategic partnerships in livelihoods regionally and globally.
Due to the nature of our volunteer placements, it is possible that the responsibilities of this role may differ in reality and therefore the post holder will need to be prepared to be flexible and adapt to their environment as necessary.
Skills and Knowledge
- You have experience of direct work in livelihoods, with particular experience of supporting research, planning and implementation of programmes at all levels.
- You experience of implementing an assets and capabilities approach to livelihoods development
- Have understanding of current issues and trends in livelihoods and development, demonstrates skills and knowledge at equivalent level to a post-graduate qualification.
- Master’s degree in Sociology, Economics, MBA with 6 years working experience in agriculture/youth/markets, value chain/livelihoods projects
- Demonstrated ability to design research projects, including livelihoods/ HEA/ Socio-Economic baselines studies under challenging conditions.
- Strong communications skills
- Demonstrated capacity in technical support and coordination
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills in English