Volunteer role – Paediatrician – VSO
This is a volunteer role. The objectives of the volunteer placement include but are not limited to:
- Build the capacity of health workers and clinical senior staff in management of essential newborn and maternal care through training, coaching and mentoring to improve the quality of health services.
- Support development of manuals and protocols for Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU). Advising, where needed, on the NICU refurbishment and set-up process.
- Take the lead in the design of all specialist paediatric medical services (specifically for newborns) working together with hospital/health facility staff
- Strengthen the VSO established NICU to ensure consistent, quality care, including the referral system.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Qualified medical professional (MD) specialised in pediatrics and preferable further specialisation in neonatology.
- Medical degree (MBBS or equivalent)
- A minimum of 3-5 years of proven specialist experience and training in paediatrics within a hospital setting of which at least 2 years in neonatal care and department management
- In the UK you need to have completed ST5 prior to departure for most roles, however doctors at ST3 and ST4 level might be accepted for some placements.
- Prior experience in clinical teaching and mentoring in the area of paediatric care is desirable.
- For roles in Ethiopia please note we require fully qualified paediatricians
- Work experience as paediatrician in Africa.
- Experience of department management
- Excellent team management and leadership skills
- Resource management: optimisation of specialist medical
Countries where VSO is currently running Health programmes needing Pediatricians are Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Sierraleon.