CARE is seeking a Regional Director who will be responsible for providing leadership and high-level oversight of all key areas of regional and country office strategy and performance. This includes responsibilities within the region for strategy development and oversight, leadership and management, building and maintaining relationships, talent development and staff supervision, financial stewardship, resource acquisition, and program focus and quality, including timely and appropriate response to humanitarian emergencies. The Regional Director is also responsible for leading regional teams around shared directions and priorities, contributing to and applying within the region overall CARE organizational priorities and strategies. The Regional Director serves on the International Programs and Operations (IPO) senior management team and the CUSA Global Management Team (GMT) and as such represents regional interests to CARE’s senior management through that and other fora. The Regional Director line manages CARE USA Country Directors and members of the Regional Management Unit.
The Regional Director is responsible for all CARE USA development and humanitarian response activities across a specific geographic area (West Africa – WA), which includes both CARE USA lead country offices as well as country offices led by other CARE members. The Regional Director is responsible for providing strategic and operational oversight and direction to countryand regional programs undertaking emergency response operations.
A major challenge for senior leadership in the region includes ensuring that CARE is strengthening its impact on poverty and injustice as well as tackling gender inequities in a rapidly changing complex region that is experiencing protracted insecurity and politically driven conflict, resulting in an increasing number of humanitarian emergencies. In both development and humanitarian programming, it is important to maintain focus on how CARE can be most relevant and impactful, by designing, implementing and measuring the impact of appropriate programs across the region, adapting our operational presence as appropriate and evolving the organization to support its future impact and relevance. All of this must be carried out in an environment of high levels of conflict in many country offices, requiring adequate attention to safety and security issues.
- Talent Development And Staff Management
- Strategy Development And Oversight
- Resource Acquisition
- Program Focus and Quality
- Financial Stewardship
- Leadership and Management
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor degree in Social Science or related international development field
- 8-10 years senior management and leadership experience working in complex humanitarian operations
- Proven ability to navigate a highly complex and matrixed global organization
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
- Extensive conceptual skills including strategic analysis
- Demonstrated management skills in a complex international setting
- Strong and proven ability to manage operational risk and staff safety in fragile, conflict contexts.
- Proven ability to set strategic direction, manage high performing teams and lead change processes
- Demonstrated leadership in humanitarian response
- Outstanding Communications skills (written, verbal – English and French required)
- Strong decision-making skills and effectiveness
- Ability to of leaders across a vast/diverse region
- Experience supervising and developing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting
- Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Strong human resource management skills including capacity building, coaching and conflict management
- Demonstrated interest and ability to give feedback, develop, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results
- Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments
- Manage a complex budget
- Effectively follow-up on internal and external audit recommendations
- Ensure donor compliance and reporting
- Ability to establish a learning culture within the region and to facilitate knowledge sharing across CARE
- Experience in successfully managing various forms of partnerships with national and international NGOs, etc.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
- Strong representation, influencing and negotiation skills